need help analyzing this...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

need help analyzing this...

Post by bscofield »

hey fellas... I need help identifying some things about pipes that I've been looking at. Look at this pipe:

I've noticed something that I like in people's pipes that I'm not sure I have properly identified in order to duplicate it. The simplest way I know how to put it is that they make it look like the shank/stem flow comes from underneathe the pipe. I'd like to know from you all identifiable features pull this off? Is it a high stummel? A curved shank? Is the "lowest" point of the shank real far forward? I just don't feel like I can quite put my finger on it.

If you want another example just let me know and I'll go get another...
Nick

Post by Nick »

I think I know what you mean. One attribute that adds to that feel is that the shank actually decends from the bowl and then rises back up. You can clearly see on this pic that the lowest point on the pipe is well behind the bowl.
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

I think another element that carries off the design is the slight bend in the stem. A straight stem would disrupt the flow of the shape.

A shape like you pictured would look good viewed from any angle, not just a side profile.

Mike
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ok here's a few more good examples. A bent and a straight that have what I would consider to be that look. From Eltang (can't believe he takes his pictures on ice):

and

Nick

Post by Nick »

That snail must be freezing!

The bend in the stem definatly makes the lines flow. I don't see it as much in the strait pipe though. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong attribute.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

The airway is drilled at a slight uphill slant from the mortise and the shank is then carved around that.. Think the opposite of a hawkbill.

Imagine the Blue line being the drill for the Mortise and the Black lines being the drill path for the tobacco chamber and airway...

ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

After re-reading your post I think I may have misunderstood what you were asking. There are a couple of things that I think are appealing aspects of this design.

First is the way that the lines flow smoothy from the front of the bowl to the end of the stem giving the pipe a very solid visual feel. I usually refer to it as "monolithic".

The bowl being supported by the shank gives a feeling of floating and fine balance which in turn brings to mind the idea that the pipe is light in weight and is finely tuned or crafted.

So what you end up with is a pipe that not only looks very solid with flowing, sorta jazzy, lines but also feels (visualy) very lightwieght and well balanced.
Last edited by ArtGuy on Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Ignoring the straight, the common element is that the inflection point where an inside curve changes to an outside curve is well behind the bowl.
But on the straight, you still see what I'm saying don't you? The shank appears to be the underside of the bowl.

The bowl being supported by the shank
That's a good way to put it.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I'm not sure, but I think you are just getting that impression from the straight pipe because of the shape of the bowl.
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

After looking at the 3 pictures, what stands out the most to me is the intersection of the bowl and shank.

The first pipe has the bowl flowing into the shank, the other two show a definate demarcation that join the two elements.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I think I see now what you're talking about. As John said, the shank seems to be supporting the bowl. Actually reaching into the bowl, as opposed to a standard billiard where the shank and bowl meet at the side of the bowl. In these pipes, that line continues. Very cool.