Methacrylate

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Methacrylate

Post by staffwalker »

Looking at a European Maker's site and he lists Methacrylate as his stem material. Anyone know what it is? bob gilbert
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Methacrylate

Post by TRS »

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

It's very simple, Bob. Methacrylates contain methyl-vinyl groups, that is, two carbon atoms double bonded to each other, directly attached to the carbonyl carbon, and wherein the vinyl group is substituted with a non-terminal methyl group.

I'm surprised you did not know this.

Rad
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

RadDavis wrote:It's very simple, Bob. Methacrylates contain methyl-vinyl groups, that is, two carbon atoms double bonded to each other, directly attached to the carbonyl carbon, and wherein the vinyl group is substituted with a non-terminal methyl group.
Bone cement!
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I see, you guys are just as dumb as I am and don't have the foggiest idea what it is. bob
DMI

Post by DMI »

It's modern version of acrylic, it has a few more additives to help avoid brittleness and melting.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:It's very simple, Bob. Methacrylates contain methyl-vinyl groups, that is, two carbon atoms double bonded to each other, directly attached to the carbonyl carbon, and wherein the vinyl group is substituted with a non-terminal methyl group.

Rad
Not only is Rod Davies a gifted pipe maker, but now I find he is gifted intellectual. Hell, he just might be the savant of all pipe makers.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Methacrylate

Post by Tyler »

Rad
Duh.