Cherry stain turning translucent green in spots?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Dixie_piper

Cherry stain turning translucent green in spots?

Post by Dixie_piper »

Yeah. I stained a bench pipe I'm using for practice last night with PIMO's cherry stain (mixed with 1.5oz D/A) and it dried green in places.
Granted, it did buff out, but it required near abusive pressure and overlaoded with red trip.
Now it could very easily be that the container was contaminated, didn't let it sit long enough, et cetera, et cetera. When I added the powder to the D/A I noticed it took on a green tint for a brief moment, then turned to the current color. Or, is it typical to see odd ball things like that come up occasionally?
Second pondering; given the recommended solution of using 1-2oz of D/A, would I be wrong in assuming that the lesser amount of D/A would result in a slightly darker tint, and the greater would lighten it up somewhat?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Re: Cherry stain turning translucent green in spots?

Post by Sasquatch »

That funny sheen will go away when you wax it. Some reds do that, others not so much. Is that a PIMO stain?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Yes'r, sho' is. I just tried their black out on a second pipe, not sure what the end result will be, but it sure looks watered down and I only used 1.25oz of denatured alcohol.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Use Fiebing's leather dye, alcohol based.
Did you heat the red? Heating or, at times, shellac can make the pipe a Leprechaun. Use ox blood or maroon in the future.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Glad to hear you say that, I was considering the switch to leather dye. I did heat the dye on the second pipe (before reading this) and it did just as you said.
Oh well, back to the order forms!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)