Here is how curved airways are drilled

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

JHowell wrote: I imagined that the curved airways on Ser Jacs were big enough to drag a cat through just because that's as small as they could get the mechanism.
LOL! Drag a cat through...HA!

Regarding the entry of the airway, on deeply bent pipes it is possible to drill the airway just fractionally short of the bowl, then join it to the bowl with a Dremel applied from inside the bowl so that the entry is at a flatter angle.
a la Bo Nordh.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tyler wrote: I don't buy that the very inexpensive hand-made pipe market is saturated. I think if you throw a reasonably well made $50-$100 pipe in the ring (retail price), it will sell. Wholesale them to stores for 50% of that, and I think you'll be behind the orders constantly. The trick is becoming efficient enough to make those pricess pay.
That's why, even though I want to be able to make and sell pipes in the same arena as Todd Johnson, I won't ever give up the inexpensive line of pipes I make. These pipes are under $100, almost always rusticated, and usually only take me an hour or so to make. Fact is, they sell better than any of my other lines, and I'd be foolish to give up on that market.

I agree with Tyler on another point. You need to make sure that you pay close attention to how much time it takes you to reach a particular goal. If it takes two hours to drill a tobacco chamber and airway, you need to revise and expedite your process. If it takes a week to complete a pipe, and you're selling those pipes for $125, you *really* need to overhaul your process. Do everything you possibly can to get the desired results in as short a time as possible. Since time *is* money when you're making product by hand, and trying to make a living, you can't afford to waste any of it.

Obviously, there are exceptions, where a pipe that takes a week to make is going to be able to fetch you a couple thousand dollars. But not many people are able to do that and get that much money for their work.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

KurtHuhn wrote: That's why, even though I want to be able to make and sell pipes in the same arena as Todd Johnson, I won't ever give up the inexpensive line of pipes I make. These pipes are under $100, almost always rusticated, and usually only take me an hour or so to make. Fact is, they sell better than any of my other lines, and I'd be foolish to give up on that market.
Kurt,

While this is indeed a noble goal, providing affordable pipes to those in need of a good smoke, it may not, in fact, be feasible. I think that is why you rarely, if ever, find someone selling in Todd's range or above who does that. The reason behind this is that if you have developed a reputation for providing fine, high grade pipes at a certain price point and then proceed to produce a lower quality product with prices that undercut your own higher line it has a tendency to make collectors cringe. Why, indeed, should they spend $1000 for a "Huhn" when Joe Schmo can buy one for $100? And what about those collectors who had already invested thousands in your pipes only to have the perceived value of their much-sought after and highly-prized investments potentially devalued by the maker himself? Bitterness might be an understatement.

Now, that is not to say that some pipemakers have not produced lower priced lines (Talbert's Ligne Britaigne and Stoa's Medici ) but the pipemaker does run the risk of jeopardizing both his reputation and value.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:While this is indeed a noble goal, providing affordable pipes to those in need of a good smoke, it may not, in fact, be feasible. I think that is why you rarely, if ever, find someone selling in Todd's range or above who does that. The reason behind this is that if you have developed a reputation for providing fine, high grade pipes at a certain price point and then proceed to produce a lower quality product with prices that undercut your own higher line it has a tendency to make collectors cringe. Why, indeed, should they spend $1000 for a "Huhn" when Joe Schmo can buy one for $100? And what about those collectors who had already invested thousands in your pipes only to have the perceived value of their much-sought after and highly-prized investments potentially devalued by the maker himself? Bitterness might be an understatement.
I've read this before, but I tend to disagree. While I'd *like* to sell a $2000 pipe, that isn't necessarily a market I'm striving for. The reason is, I don't believe that market is sustainable by the number of makers that strive to reach it. Now, most makers never will, so that reduces the number of makers that are competing in that arena, however "more is not necessarily better".

Believe me, I'd love to be able to sell multi-thousand dollar pipes and gain that recognition, but I can't restrict myself to that market. It does me no good to cut out 95+% of the potential pipe-buying market - not now, not ever. I'm trying to walk a fine line, and that line is, admittedly, very fine.
jeff wrote:Now, that is not to say that some pipemakers have not produced lower priced lines (Talbert's Ligne Britaigne and Stoa's Medici ) but the pipemaker does run the risk of jeopardizing both his reputation and value.
Indeed, and that's why I strive to make every effort to differentiate between the lines as much as possible. I sure don't want to confuse customers, or make them feel as if they've been "duped" in any way. I agree, it is a risk, but I guess I'm willing to take that risk. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

random wrote:What I am trying to say here is that sure, if you are in the middle of the rat race then yes, "time is money". But are you going to live in the middle of the rat race until the day you croak off still chasing the holy dollar? I'm not, to me time is NOT money, time is LIFE; if I choose (and it is a choice) to spend parts of my LIFE making pipes, I will not be hurried through the activity by some tightassed bill collector.
Well, I *am* under 40, but I have no desire for the high life. I never had. All I've ever wanted is a roof that doesn't leak, a car that runs, and children that behave themselves.

Well, that and bosses that don't have pointy hair.

Unfortunately, I don't own any land outright, and my cars have payments (albeit quite small), and I do have children that I'm responsible for as well. So, to me, time *is* money. I have no delusions of getting rich making pipes. I only want enough to satisfy the needs (and I do mean _needs_) of the family, plus some left over for toys or play. The faster I can make quality pieces, the faster I can meet those needs.

I am in an odd position here, I know. I have no debt outside two cars and rent. For a 33-yr old person that's worked in IT for 15 years, that's incredibly unusual. You're in an even odder position still - but I daresay that neither of us fits the norm of modern society with regard to modern ideas of "better living through higher debt".

However, if you're trying to run a business, you *must* pay attention to the time it takes you to make your product, otherwise your business will be unsustainable - even if it is only you, your wife, a makeshift workshop, and the screaming squirrels on the side of a mountain.

What I'm trying to say is, don't completely reject the notion of "time is money" because you got burned by extreme uses of it in the past. The fact is, some business ideas are sound - prior, of course, to having been twisted and perverted by the Suits and PHBs into something awful.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com