Another full bent

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
stdly

Another full bent

Post by stdly »

I am just learning how to finish wood, being a metalworker by trade. I would appreciate any feedback, I can take it! The extension and stem ring are stabilized snakewood.

Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
JMB

Post by JMB »

Great looking pipe. Love the shape. The stem work is outstanding in the way the grain run's. Only real problem I see is "stain" inside the bowl. A little sanding & it will come off.
stdly

Post by stdly »

JMB wrote:Great looking pipe. Love the shape. The stem work is outstanding in the way the grain run's. Only real problem I see is "stain" inside the bowl. A little sanding & it will come off.
JMB Thanks!
Yes I still have some work to do on the finish and then the bowl will be sanded inside.
Regards,
Steve J

kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Very nice buddy!!
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice indeed. Kinda has a Micheal Parks feel to it.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Very nice pipe!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
stdly

Post by stdly »

Thanks all! I think a small divider ring between the briar and the snakewood on the stummel would had been nice but I was starved for materials until now.
Nick wrote:Nice indeed. Kinda has a Micheal Parks feel to it.
Dam you found me out. That is were I got my insperation from and also Stephane Downies fire ball. The stain is something explained to me in an email from Michael actually but I am sure it looked better in his imagination.
Regards,
Steve J

AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Yes, just a little bit of sanding would take that off. 400 grit sand paper bound around a dowel and finished with 800 or 1000grt would work very well, m'thinks. If you're a metalworker, some needle files used for filing sawblades or, for example, cleaning the nozzle of a MIG welder would work too, though you would have to be careful not to do a number on the finish or to leave marks on the inside.
stdly

Post by stdly »

AAdomeit,
I use a 3/4 flap wheel in the drill press and about 10 seconds, they work very well.
Regards,
Steve J

AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Ah. I'm going to have to remember that.
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Steve,

Great looking pipe there! I like the square shank, very unusual for a full bent. I'm honoured that you liked one of my pipes enough to use it for inspiration.

Best Wishes,
Stephen