Metal ring around mortise

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
d6monk

Metal ring around mortise

Post by d6monk »

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question I was hoping some of you might be able to answer. On pipes that have had a metal ring placed around the outside of the mortise (for example the ones shown in this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4074&start=0) what type or metal is used? Any specific kind of brass etc. that is recommended? I wanted to use something that wouldn't end up corroding/tarnishing/etc.

Thanks a lot!
Sasquatch

Re: Metal ring around mortise

Post by Sasquatch »

Looks like brass to me.

The easy way to do this unless I'm much mistaken is to find some tubing and a hole-saw that match, and just run the hole saw into the shank, and insert the right amount of tubing after.

1/2" copper plumbing pipe might be an option too....
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's basically it. Find a hole saw that makes the right size hole for the metal tube. You might get lucky, but it took me a few tries to find one that worked exactly as I needed it to. Also you can cut some teeth into the end of the metal tube you're going to use, and mount it in your tailstock to use as the hole saw. This is a little more time consuming, and you need to be sure to clear the chips often so that you don't burn the wood instead of cutting it.

And yes, 1/2" copper plumbing tube works very well. :)

If you're using copper plumbing, a 5/8" hole saw may do the trick. However, it's sometimes easier to drill a simple 5/8" hole and sleeve the copper with delrin for the mortis.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

Thanks guys,

The copper plumbing tube I've used in the past for things like tool handle ferrules etc. has tarnished pretty badly so I think I'll just go with some brass. Also, I usually freehand drill, have you guys tried the hole saw thing freehand or do you usually drill first and just chuck it up?

Thanks again!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I would suggest that while you are drilling the ring, you are at the same time drilling the mortise with the center spur/bit of the hole saw. Therefore, drill press.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I've always had success cutting "teeth" on the tube itself and driving it in with the tailstock. Mostly use this method with horn extensions.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes