The Last of the Pipesmiths

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Leus

Re: The Last of the Pipesmiths

Post by Leus »

Hm. I don't mean to defend anyone, but to my knowledge, briar is native to Portugal. It is also native to pretty much all Mediterranean countries, but that doesn't make it false, right?

I loved the part where he said that nobody else was making pipes anymore. He sounded so sure that I almost got convinced.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

The video was a user generated "news report", but CNN "vetted" it with their logo. It sounds to me like they allow anyone to post stuff, but they only put their logo on stuff that they vouch for. I thought about sending them a mean email, but then figured it wasn't worth my time.

I was sad to realize I don't exist when I heard there are no other pipe makers in the world. But then I realized, he was talking about pipe builders, and came to the conclusion that he is probably right. I have never met another pipe builder in my life. They are a rare breed.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Leus wrote:Hm. I don't mean to defend anyone, but to my knowledge, briar is native to Portugal. It is also native to pretty much all Mediterranean countries, but that doesn't make it false, right?
Doesn't make it false, but it's like watching a show about dogwood trees, and "Dogwood trees are native to Tennessee" flashes on the screen. It leaves the impression that they grow nowhere else.

Besides that, I've never heard any pipe maker declare that they use "The finest Portugese briar". Except Julius, I guess. :lol:

Rad
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Shame on him and on that guy playing the reporter :!:
The "pipe builder" might be proud of what he said.
At least he apparently likes what he does and he tries
to maximize that telling some soft lies...
But the "reporter" is so fu**ing clueless that he isn't even
able to find out more about pipemaking before running
such interview.

eder

• • •
http://mrhydepipes.com
Leus

Post by Leus »

RadDavis wrote: Doesn't make it false, but it's like watching a show about dogwood trees, and "Dogwood trees are native to Tennessee" flashes on the screen. It leaves the impression that they grow nowhere else.
Do they? (quick run to Wikipedia.) Oh, that's a dogwood tree. Hm.
RadDavis wrote: Besides that, I've never heard any pipe maker declare that they use "The finest Portugese briar". Except Julius, I guess. :lol:

Rad
Heh, you guys would get a kick out of talking with Spaniard pipe makers.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

It appears that over the last 4 years you all still have no idea what the fuck you are doing or talking about. Except for Kurt and Sas of course.... I assume you two are still actively killing your briar? To the rest, Shame on you.

Thanks Mr. Davis (is it wrong to call him that, or should I use one of his "southern names" other people on the forum do?) for posting this video! It was a good laugh. It is also nice to know that since he is the only real pipe builder, that I essentially rank as high as the so called "pros"

Kiel
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Cnn is always full of shit! Did you guys ever think Mad Mike may have apprenticed under this last, true, Fartisan?
What I'm pissed about is that this (last of the pipe makers) implied that any of us would hurt a living thing. Just to be safe, I, ice picked each and every block. If you watch this as a comedy, it's not bad. It does get on my nerves because a lot of people are going to beleive this crap, which is demeaning to my brothers and sisters.