The Last of the Pipesmiths

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Briar is native to Portugal, meerschaum is made from the skeletons of prehistoric animals and Julius Vesz is the only person in the world who still makes pipes.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-445667?ref=email

Julius claims to be the only pipe maker worldwide. Then he goes on to say that all the other pipe makers use green briar, since they ran out of "dead root briar" 39 years ago.

This sort of shit pisses me off.

Rad
Sasquatch

Re: The Last of the Pipesmiths

Post by Sasquatch »

Dunno bout you, but my briar's fuckin dead by the time I'm done with it. :lol:

Clearly a piece done on a particular agenda, and bearing no basis in reality, but then, what would you expect on the TV?

I'm gonna go look at my briar and see if any of it's dead.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I strangle my briar the moment it arrives, and put a bullet in each block for good measure. Then I go outside and run around the house at the speed of light for five minutes creating a relativity well inside, which ages my briar 50 years almost instantly.

I can't believe Julius didn't think of that....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That explains why I feel so old! It's YOU!!!! You and your relativity tricks! I HATE YOU!!!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

That's ridiculous. It's one thing to market your wares as being magical--it's a common practice--but to be so ignorant that you think meerschaum is the bone from an extinct animal and that porcelain pipes are "carved," is inexcusable. Once he kicks it, I sure would love to have a lot of that old tobacciana, though. That and the fact that Henry Ford was the only "celebrity" whose name I actually recognized leaves me unimpressed. Since we're name dropping, though, my pipes are collected by Thomas Kincade, who's the "painter of light." PAINTER OF LIGHT, bitches! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Who's famous now? Oh yeah!

TJ
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

My favorite is that right off the top they talk about how pipes are "built."

"Hi, my name is Simeon Turner, and I'm a pipe builder. Yep, been buildin pipes since the dinosaurs turned to fossils."

Todd, perhaps you should tell Mr. Kincade that your pipes are made from green wood, and that they don't smoke well. The Painter of Light deserves pipes that smoke well.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:That's ridiculous. It's one thing to market your wares as being magical--it's a common practice--but to be so ignorant that you think meerschaum is the bone from an extinct animal and that porcelain pipes are "carved," is inexcusable. Once he kicks it, I sure would love to have a lot of that old tobacciana, though. That and the fact that Henry Ford was the only "celebrity" whose name I actually recognized leaves me unimpressed. Since we're name dropping, though, my pipes are collected by Thomas Kincade, who's the "painter of light." PAINTER OF LIGHT, bitches! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Who's famous now? Oh yeah!

TJ
I'm unimpressed. Thomas Kincade's "paintings" are pretty cornball if you ask me.

My pipes are collected by a tenor with the Metropolitan Opera. I refuse to drop his name here, as I am not a name dropper. You'll just have to guess.

You've never heard of Mickey Rooney? Good God, man.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

ToddJohnson wrote:That's ridiculous. It's one thing to market your wares as being magical--it's a common practice--but to be so ignorant that you think meerschaum is the bone from an extinct animal and that porcelain pipes are "carved," is inexcusable. Once he kicks it, I sure would love to have a lot of that old tobacciana, though. That and the fact that Henry Ford was the only "celebrity" whose name I actually recognized leaves me unimpressed. Since we're name dropping, though, my pipes are collected by Thomas Kincade, who's the "painter of light." PAINTER OF LIGHT, bitches! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Who's famous now? Oh yeah!

TJ
He also tossed out the gem that briar is "petrified wood."

Wow...just, wow.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I also love the interviwer's several snickering questions implying that people might smoke dope in the pipes.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sasquatch wrote:That explains why I feel so old! It's YOU!!!! You and your relativity tricks! I HATE YOU!!!
That's nothing. I once forgot to warn my wife to get out of the house prior to doing the briar aging dance. Man was SHE pissed!

ToddJohnson wrote:That's ridiculous. It's one thing to market your wares as being magical--it's a common practiceTJ
And sometimes you don't even have to. Sometimes your customers do it for you.

Especially famous customers. Like Harold from Queens, and "crazy hair guy" in South Boston.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

KurtHuhn wrote:Especially famous customers. Like Harold from Queens, and "crazy hair guy" in South Boston.
They collect your pipes too? Man, I thought I had that market cornered. I feel so.....used...
:lol:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:

Of Briar and Ashes:
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:

TJ
I'm unimpressed. Thomas Kincade's "paintings" are pretty cornball if you ask me.

My pipes are collected by a tenor with the Metropolitan Opera. I refuse to drop his name here, as I am not a name dropper. You'll just have to guess.

Rad
Kincade and Ross are true artists, Rad. You hold your philistine tongue. Besides, if you don't understand Thomas Kincade's paintings it's only because you don't have Jesus in your heart. You know, of course, that his paintings are depictions of "life before the fall." You'll never understand real art, Rad.

TJ

P.S. Jonathan collects my pipes too, so suck it you surreptitious name dropper! Maaan you are such a name-dropper!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:

Rad
I thought he said macaroni and was just confused! Even I know Mickey Rooney is the guy from last Fall's indie hit, "The Wrestler." Duh.

TJ
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's so awful to see jealousy taint a conversation like this. You guys think you're so smart, and then you see someone who knows more than you on TV, and get all mad.

Personally, I'm waiting till they interview Mad Mike about pipes. l suspect he'll corroborate a lot of Vesz's theories. And won't you all look like fools then??

Ha!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Are we sure that wasn't mad mike? I mean, he didn't look too crazy, but you never know.

Or maybe the "reporter" was mad mike? :)

Turner Pipes Website:

Of Briar and Ashes:
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

SimeonTurner wrote:Are we sure that wasn't mad mike? I mean, he didn't look too crazy, but you never know.

Or maybe the "reporter" was mad mike? :)
The reporter actually reminded me of the announcer from Best in Show. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if he had turned to Julius and said "how much do you think I can bench-press? Oh, come on, just take a guess!"

TJ
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Ha! If only Fred Willard actually had done this interview. So is this guy just crazy or is this some kind of strange marketing ploy, I wonder. He can't actually believe that stuff, can he?

I'm glad CNN reporters don't do any research to go along with their interviews...legitimate journalism is such a bore.

Micah
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

mredmond wrote:Ha! If only Fred Willard actually had done this interview. So is this guy just crazy or is this some kind of strange marketing ploy, I wonder. He can't actually believe that stuff, can he?

I'm glad CNN reporters don't do any research to go along with their interviews...legitimate journalism is such a bore.

Micah
Not one to typically jump in and defend CNN, but this interview was in their section on the web that is upload-able by anyone. I don't think this was a CNN interview, per se.

As for Vesz believing what he said, at the very least he is consistent. The larger pipe world has been refuting him for years, but he plods along sticking to his "dead-root" guns. If he doesn't believe, he's a DARN good actor.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Thanks for setting me straight Tyler. CNN gets a pass this time. : )

Micah
vasco

Post by vasco »

RadDavis wrote:Briar is native to Portugal,
There is plant called "Erica lusitanica" here in Portugal, but I never knew you could make pipes with it. Yes, if it's on CNN it must be true. :lol:

Actually, the most interesting celebrity for me here is Zero Mostel.