Tips on Working Horn?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
e Markle

Tips on Working Horn?

Post by e Markle »

I picked up some horn from Eltang in Chicago (I don't often get to name drop - so allow me just this once :) ). So now I've got a score of horn tips, and basically no idea how to work with them. I'm not planning on making a stem at this point, just some extensions or stem inlays. Any tips on working this? Can most/any of it be done on the lathe or will I need to focus on sanding? Does it polish well? I did some searches on the site, but I couldn't find much. Any clues would be welcome. Thanks!

ernie
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Tips on Working Horn?

Post by baweaverpipes »

Ernie,
The stuff stinks, somewhat like Johnson or when Davis has been with farm animals.
Sharp tools, lathe, a clothes pin for your nose and yes, it polishes.
On some horn you might have to stabilize.
But, what do I know? I'm, as Johnson would put it, an old man in need of new Depends.
Hurry up and turn the stuff, it might become outlawed in California.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Bruce Weaver is a big butt hole.

Horn smells just like roses when you turn it. Or maybe fresh peaches. It all depends on the ox. There's no need to stabilize it, and it has no cracks at all. Every little bit will be usable.

Also, I'm not allergic to it.

Who is this Eltang?

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:Bruce Weaver is a big butt hole.

Who is this Eltang?

Rad
Wrong again, Davis. I'm a redneck disguised as a jerk.
Johnson mentioned that Eltang feller once and I think he lives somewhere in Arkansas, Mississippi or Djibouti.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:Bruce Weaver is a big butt hole.

Horn smells just like roses when you turn it. Or maybe fresh peaches. It all depends on the ox. There's no need to stabilize it, and it has no cracks at all. Every little bit will be usable.
Rad
baweaverpipes wrote:Ernie,
The stuff stinks, somewhat like Johnson or when Davis has been with farm animals.
Hey Kurt,
Is there an "add to curmudgeon list" function under the profile section?
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

The key to working horn is that you have to marinate it first. Otherwise it will have no flavor. I like to use thyme and oregano with some olive oil and lemon juice. Then you boil it in oil for a few hours and put it in your toaster oven at 250 for three hours. That way it loses all its tannins and extra weight and tastes very mellow and sweet--like Rad's briefs after a day of working in his un-air conditioned shop during the south Alabama summer. Don't skip these steps or Greg Pease will reject your work out-of-hand.

TJ

P.S. You're welcome.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

ToddJohnson wrote:The key to working horn is that you have to marinate it first. Otherwise it will have no flavor. I like to use thyme and oregano with some olive oil and lemon juice. Then you boil it in oil for a few hours and put it in your toaster oven at 250 for three hours. That way it loses all its tannins and extra weight and tastes very mellow and sweet--like Rad's briefs after a day of working in his un-air conditioned shop during the south Alabama summer. Don't skip these steps or Greg Pease will reject your work out-of-hand.

TJ

P.S. You're welcome.
Ahhh, this explains why I found very little on this forum. Let me see if Rachel Ray has a forum somewhere...
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Man....pipe making makes me hungry! Of course, imagining TJ sniffing Rad's undies kinda took the edge off my appetite, so it all evens out, I guess.
:lol:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote:The key to working horn is that you have to marinate it first. Otherwise it will have no flavor. I like to use thyme and oregano with some olive oil and lemon juice. Then you boil it in oil for a few hours and put it in your toaster oven at 250 for three hours. That way it loses all its tannins and extra weight and tastes very mellow and sweet--like Rad's briefs after a day of working in his un-air conditioned shop during the south Alabama summer.

You know, this kinda puts my leather pants and olive oil to shame. Just the visual has got me wishing I hadn't gone to the Chinese buffet for lunch.

*sniff* *sniff* Mmmmm.... Strawberries....
e Markle wrote:Hey Kurt,
Is there an "add to curmudgeon list" function under the profile section?
What, and risk getting myself added? No way!!

*grumble* Crazy kids and their multicolor stems, fruity tobacco, and pipes that look like vacuum cleaners....

:lol:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Kurt, I'm afraid you have to be "of a certain age" to qualify for curmudgeon status. You're just too young.

Todd has the right attitude, but he's too young also, although I'm sure he'll make a fine curmudgeon at some time in the future.

You guys just aren't stuck enough in your ways yet.

Bruce, on the other hand, probably would have qualified for curmudgeonhood at age 21.

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote: Bruce, on the other hand, probably would have qualified for curmudgeonhood at age 21.
Rad
Yes, I am and always will be :D
At least I don't photograph looking like a crack whore after downing a quart of gin :lol:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

baweaverpipes wrote:
RadDavis wrote: Bruce, on the other hand, probably would have qualified for curmudgeonhood at age 21.
Rad
Yes, I am and always will be :D
At least I don't photograph looking like a crack whore after downing a quart of gin :lol:
That wasn't me. Anyway, I wasn't feeling at all well that day. But seriously, that wasn't me.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:Kurt, I'm afraid you have to be "of a certain age" to qualify for curmudgeon status. You're just too young.

Todd has the right attitude, but he's too young also, although I'm sure he'll make a fine curmudgeon at some time in the future.

You guys just aren't stuck enough in your ways yet.
Hrm. I guess we'll just have to settle for "malcontent" in the meantime. Though I look forward to having a real excuse for being a grumpy SOB.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

I just love these informative forum posts. Now I know one new word in english and what Rads briefs smells like.... :shock:
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

DaGamba wrote:I just love these informative forum posts. Now I know one new word in english and what Rads briefs smells like.... :shock:
It was all said right here. I have removed any humor to make it more sober and informative:

The stuff stinks [EDIT].
Sharp tools, lathe, [EDIT] and yes, it polishes.

TJ
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Psssshhhhhtttt....sober and informative is boring. I prefer drunk and superfluous.
:oompaloompa:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

baweaverpipes wrote:Ernie,
Sharp tools, lathe, a clothes pin for your nose and yes, it polishes.
But, what do I know? I'm, as Johnson would put it, an old man in need of new Depends.
Hurry up and turn the stuff, it might become outlawed in California.
I'm proud to know that I only stink when I've been with farm animals, while Todd apparently stinks naturally.

Rad
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

SimeonTurner wrote:Psssshhhhhtttt....sober and informative is boring. I prefer drunk and superfluous.
:oompaloompa:

... take my wife,... please.