What is a good chuck for my new lathe?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
aaron

What is a good chuck for my new lathe?

Post by aaron »

I splurged on myself today and got the jet 14" mini lathe :D . Where might I find this wonderful self centering chuck that everyone has? What should I expect to pay for it? I have never messed with a lathe before, but it seems kind of fun after only putting a piece of scrap briar in it. Please Help.

Aaron Heizer
I just want to be the best that I can be.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Most wood working sotres have them. The cheapest I've seen is about $75, with many of them running into the hundreds of dollars.
joshl

Post by joshl »

Aaron,

I highly recomend the Talon chuck made by Oneway of Canada. It is a pricy piece of equipment (about $210 w/ adapter), but well worth it. You can check out the Oneway line of chucks @ http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/index.htm

BTW Grizzly makes a cheap knock-off of the Oneway chuck, it costs about $50 and can only be attached to a few different types of spindles. It might be OK as a temporary chuck but would probably be more of a headache than it's worth.

Best of Luck,
Josh
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I bought my oneway scroll chuck for my jet mini lathe here......

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-b ... y=930-0400

It comes with the adapter to mount it. Some companies charge another 20 bucks for that.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ArtGuy wrote:I bought my oneway scroll chuck for my jet mini lathe here......

It comes with the adapter to mount it. Some companies charge another 20 bucks for that.

That's the one I use as well. Get the spigot jaws with it, and you'll *almost* have everything you need.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

if you watch wholesaletool.com they put lathe chucks on sale for very cheap, i dont know the quality but i have heard from one who has one that they are fine for pipemaking.

Also didnt your lathe come with a 3 jaw self centering chuck?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

KurtHuhn wrote:
ArtGuy wrote:I bought my oneway scroll chuck for my jet mini lathe here......

That's the one I use as well. Get the spigot jaws with it, and you'll *almost* have everything you need.

I take it you have no problems with the spigot jaws not being able to hold at odd angles? I was thinking about getting them but was unsure because it does not look like there is enough jaw surface to make contact.
Last edited by ArtGuy on Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

BriarBrian wrote:Also didnt your lathe come with a 3 jaw self centering chuck?
Brian,

I'll speak for Aaron here and say that no, the Jet doesn't come with a chuck of any sort. It is a wood lathe and comes with a face place and another spindle turning sharp-thingy ma-doo-dad. No cucks.

Tyler
aaron

Post by aaron »

my lathe did not come with any kind of chuck, only the needle point thing that is definately no good for pipe making. Also, The tailstock? what do i need to buy to hold drill bits and such? I really know nothing about lathes, but it sure is fun to play around with...

aaron heizer
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Aaron,

I use the Oneway scroll chuck as well. The Talon has the added plus of using a key instead of two rods for tightening the jaws, but either will work. I'd go with the Talon if I wasn't under tight budgetary constraints.

If money is really not an issue, then contact Ken Lamb at http://www.lambpipes.com. He makes a custom pipe making chuck that is VERY nice.

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

aaron wrote:my lathe did not come with any kind of chuck, only the needle point thing that is definately no good for pipe making. Also, The tailstock? what do i need to buy to hold drill bits and such? I really know nothing about lathes, but it sure is fun to play around with...

aaron heizer
You will need a 1/2" jacobs style chuck with a #2 morse taper arbor. That fits snugly into the tailstock and will hold the bits as you drill. You can also fit that into the headstock and use it to hold either a buffing wheel arbor or spin a sanding disk on it.
aaron

Post by aaron »

well, I bit the bullet and spent almost $300.00 more today on the talon chuck and the other chuck thing. I never imagined that the piece to fit my lathe would cost more than my lathe... funny how the world works... my wife said i better make pipes for a long time.
thanks for your help...
aaron
Nick

Post by Nick »

Heehehhee. Wifes! God love 'em.

I wanted to buy a pipe the otherday. 40% off, man! A nice Sav year 2000 pipe. Rusticated, but it has great straight grain inside the bowl. Just a sweet pipe. *sigh* Well, my loving wife pointed out that the $100.00 would buy a window treatment for our new house. And dispite my pleadings of "too good a deal" and "I'll do without a window treatment in my (windowless basement) manly room" I came away empty handed.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ArtGuy wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:That's the one I use as well. Get the spigot jaws with it, and you'll *almost* have everything you need.

I take it you have to problems with the spigot jaws not being able to hold at odd angles? I was thinking about getting them but was unsure because it does not look like there is enough jaw surface to make contact.
I mostly use the spigot jaws for turning/drilling rod stock and making trim rings. However, I've used them on occasion to hold blocks of wood at odd angles where the #2 jaws aren't deep enough. However, they *still* aren't deep enough to grip at some of the more obscene angles.

I have an idea for some custom jaws, but I need to find the cash for some bar stock and schedule some time in my father-in-law's workshop. Basically, I want them like the spigot jaws, but about 2-4 inches longer, and maybe 1/4" wider.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Man Kurt! You're the jack of all trades aren't you? First the bits, which I'm still hoping to get once I get my last pipe paid off, and now custom chucks. You da man!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Kurt wrote:If I'm really god at it, I can *make* some money.
While true, I think you may aspiring a little TOO high in this case. :wink:

Tyler :lol:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com