Crosby Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ArtGuy

Crosby Pipes

Post by ArtGuy »

Here is what is most likely my most sucessfull pipe to date. I have been at it for about 6 months or so now (pipe carving that is, this pipe did not take that long to do :) ). The idea for the shape came to me as I was looking at some old hot rod cars. There is process they use on some of them called "Fattening" that exagerates the curves on the car and makes it look sorta inflated.

It has a big chamber 7/8" bore by about 1 3/4" deep. The pipe itself is only 5 inches long adding to the short and fat look I was after.

What do you think?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

John, how heavy is that sucker? What's the diameter of the stummel? Just out of curiosity, did you rusticate that spot on the bottom of the stummel because of a flaw in the wood??
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

It is really not as heavy or as big as you would think. I don't know the exact wieght. A postage scale may be a decent investment because I get that question a lot. The shank is a little bit under 3/4" in diameter and the mortise is drilled to 5/16" which is, I think, :?: a little bigger than some other carvers. I also drilled the mortise a little longer than normal. By drilling the chamber 7/8" instead of 3/4" and having a little bigger mortise I was able to shave a little poundage without it taking away from the fat look.

I sent the pipe to a prospective buyer for him to look at. He said everything was fine but he would like the button on the stem to be shaved down a little. He is even letting me keep it to display in Chicago and ship it to him after the show which I thought was nice of him.

The rustication was done because there were a couple of sandpits that detracted from the look and also the grain was a little bald under there. I was carefull to rusticate it in a manner that would not disrupt the lines as you looked at it in profile. I also thought it gave the bottom a little more interest. The rustication was done with a combination of a dremel bit and hand carving tools.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I really like this pipe. I made a comment or two about Fat Boy II earlier, and said that it was my favorite of yours so far, but seeing this one again, I might change my mind. Though very similar, the maing thing that sticks out to me as the difference between the two pipes is the shortened saddle bit on this one. I like it.

On another positive note, I think the stem is bent perfectly.

Well done.

Tyler