Pimo Block

General pipe discussion
AlanS

Pimo Block

Post by AlanS »

For my first pipe, I purchased the Pimo booklet on PipeMaking as well as an echebon block which was predrilled for an included stem.

In the Pipe Crafting book it is specific about the smoke hole meeting the tobacco hole at exactly the bottom of the tobacco hole, lest moisture and unspent tobacco hide there, as well as tobacco resins accumulate there. The smoke hole in my briar intersects the Tobacco hole almost 4mm above the bottom of the tobacco hole.

I am asking the opinion of those more experienced in Pipemaking. Should I not worry about this "small" difference, and begin to shape this block into a pipe, or this a significant enough excursion that I should return it for an exchange.

Thanks for your guidance!
Alan S
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Re: Pimo Block

Post by SimeonTurner »

That's a tough question, Alan. Since it's your first pipe, it probably Isnt that big of a deal, only because you will probably have a lot of things that you aren't totally satisfied with. The overall effect of a smoke hole that isn't at the bottom of the bowl is that you will have tobacco at the bottom of the bowl that won't really burn, which will cause moisture to condensate at the bottom of the bowl, but should be too big of an issue as long as you let the pipe dry out well after each smoke.

That's my two cents. Mostly, have fun making your first pipe! :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Uncle Arthur

Post by Uncle Arthur »

If it gets to be a hassle mix up a bit of "pipe mud" Cigar ashes in enough water to make a stiff paste. Bring the bottom up using that and let it dry for three days or so. I have several estate pipes where the hole is a wee bit high. They smoke OK. Not great because of other design flaws . But they were basically freebies in lots where I got some excellent pipes cheaply.
Frank

Post by Frank »

A draught hole 4mm too high is actually pretty shoddy work. If even a rank amateur like myself can get the holes spot on almost every time, I'd expect better than 4mm above the bottom for a predrilled block.

It's your money spent and it will be your time invested in making the pipe. If it's already a concern to you at this stage, return it for another block that is properly drilled - since that's what you paid for, that much you are entitled to, IMO.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I agree. It's not that hard to hit a draught hole in the right place. I'd ask the seller for an exchange, since that's a pretty important part of a pipe.

While I agree with Simeon, that there's so many other things that will potentially go wrong, I really don't think this should be one of them. I mean, that's probably part of the reason you got the pre-drilled block anyway, right?

I'd politely ask the seller for an exchange. The worst that can happen is they say no.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
AlanS

Post by AlanS »

Thanks for your inputs. I really appreciate it.
I bought the predrilled pipe so I didn't have to worry about these things for my first try.

I am not a perfectionist but I am precise. So I appreciate your opinions on how much tolerance is acceptable in this area.

If in the back of my mind I am already aware that I am building a substandard pipe it has to affect the end product.
I will call them up tomorrow to see if they are open for an exchange.
I probably should order a few more blocks (undrilled) as well as a few specialized tools to cover shipping.

Thanks again!
Alan S
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ginny is super nice - I'd be astonished if there was any fuss.

As said, if you want a block drilled shitty, you could do it yourself. And while no one's first pipe is going to fetch 200 bucks on ebay, it is more fun to work on it if you feel confident about the end product being enjoyed.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Leus

Post by Leus »

I wouldn't sweat too much about it, actually.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Maybe a full bent? If not I'm sure Ginny would't mind exchanging, she's a star.