Has anyone used

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
buster

Has anyone used

Post by buster »

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... vory?Args=

Has anyone used this to make a stem and if anyone has can it be bent.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone used

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yes, and yes.

It considerably more sensitive to heat than ebonite - even moreso than acrylic.

It also does not like to be sanded to the high grits that ebonite will tolerate. Under normal sanding circumstances, you can stop at 400 before using brown tripoli - which will not stain the material.

It is also very brittle, so watch that file. Also, you may want to leave the stem a tad thick near the button since it doesn't have the same give as ebonite, and likes to crack if stressed.

It is also unforgiving of rushed drilling.

I use it extensively for decorative rings and shank caps, and less so for stems. It is a very nice material though, and I do suggest trying it out ot see if it suits you.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Kurt,

I can't speak about this particular alternative ivory, but I've not found one that would hold a bend. Much of it is too soft and just straightens out when you heat and bend it. Perhaps this one is different.

TJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Good to know, Todd. As far as I'm aware, there's only one manufacturer of the stuff on the planet, so chances are it applies to all sources of alternative ivory. The other polyresins from the same manufacturer are much more stable, so it must have something to do with the tints used to make it white. Perhaps it never truly hardens? Good thing I never sold an alt ivory stem with a bend in it!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Here is a South African company, with US offices,I found about a year ago, and never used, but may be good. The material, Vesconite, is Shore D 84, about like SEM ebonite, or a little harder.

http://www.vesconite.com/industry/appli ... _ebony.htm
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:Kurt,

I can't speak about this particular alternative ivory, but I've not found one that would hold a bend. Much of it is too soft and just straightens out when you heat and bend it. Perhaps this one is different.

TJ
Elforyn will definitely hold a bend, but it's $48.50 for a foot of 25mm..

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Kurt,

TJ
Elforyn will definitely hold a bend, but it's $48.50 for a foot of 25mm..

Rad
Yeah, I've used Elforyn, but I think of "alternative ivory" as the rubbery stuff you can get for things like pens and bottle stoppers. I love Elforyn, but I think it's probably best for things like trim and inlays and I use ivory for that. I've heard it's made from real Elves, though, which is pretty cool.

TJ
Frank

Post by Frank »

ToddJohnson wrote:I've heard it's made from real Elves, though, which is pretty cool.

TJ
:ROFL:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I cant speak for this particualr product however I have made stems from an alternative Ivory and Alternative Horn rod in both bent and straight. The hardness was very similar to ebonite, maybe a tad softer. Filing etc to shape was pretty easy and it sanded well. I sanded to 1000 before buffing. The bent one bent well but you need to be very gentle and make sure you get it well heated, if you try to bend when its not hot enough or when its cooling down it will simply pull apart as my test peice did. I heated it well until it was pretty floppy then formed the curve with my fingers, dunked it in cold water and then left it on my workbench for a couple of hours before coming back to it to make sure it was completely cold. After that it it was fine.

So far I havnt made many stems with it but it seems to be a good choice and not really much different than ebonite to work with. Certainly looks good though.

Oh and another point, if you are using a delrin tenon make sure the hole you drill in the stem isnt too tight. Usually i make mine very snug then hammer the tenon into the rod, i hammered a bit too hard on my first stem and it exploded so make sure you tap lightly and wear goggles lol.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

ToddJohnson wrote:[I've heard it's made from real Elves, though, which is pretty cool.

TJ
Recently I spoke with one of the Keebler Elves and can confirm that this product is made by their cousins, living in a distant forest.
I was able to speak with the supreme Elf, Radkin, recently and he felt Elforyn would be fine for pipes, unless sold to an alligator. Apparently this product is made deep within the woods, in an isolated area of Alabama.
Here is an image of Radkin:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:
I love Elforyn, but I think it's probably best for things like trim and inlays and I use ivory for that.

TJ
That's fine for you Mr. Snottypants, but some of us are allergic to real ivory and horn and stuff.

Besides, the use of real ivory contributes to global warming.

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

baweaverpipes wrote:
Recently I spoke with one of the Keebler Elves and can confirm that this product is made by their cousins, living in a distant forest.
I was able to speak with the supreme Elf, Radkin, recently and he felt Elforyn would be fine for pipes, unless sold to an alligator. Apparently this product is made deep within the woods, in an isolated area of Alabama.
Here is an image of Radkin:
Name dropper.

Rad
Nick

Post by Nick »

RadDavis wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:
I love Elforyn, but I think it's probably best for things like trim and inlays and I use ivory for that.

TJ
That's fine for you Mr. Snottypants, but some of us are allergic to real ivory and horn and stuff.

Rad
Rad,

The flatulent cloud hovering over your domocile contributes more to global warming than all Bruce's faux ivory.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:

TJ

Rad
Sorry, I wasn't casting aspersions, Rad. I know you're allergic to ivory dust. I must correct you about ivory's contribution to Global Warming, though. First off, we just had the coldest February on record here in TN, so clearly "Global Warming" is a myth perpetuated by the same morons who think it's a good idea for everyone to have affordable healthcare and a decent job. Baby killer!

The real cause of this so called "Global Warming" I'm told is cow flatulence. They are, as we speak, working to develop a cow that is less likely to fart into the sky. Don't doubt me. Every word of this is true. Only the facts, "understand?"

TJ
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Global Warming killed off the fairies. This fossil proves that the air was so filled with impurities that it encapsulated them in mid-flight.

Frank

Post by Frank »

T3pipes wrote:Global Warming killed off the fairies. This fossil proves that the air was so filled with impurities that it encapsulated them in mid-flight.
I'm sorry to say, that theory was scientifically disproved. They were encapsulated using evil magic. That is a known Toddism fact!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett