Shape advice request

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
T3pipes

Shape advice request

Post by T3pipes »

I started with the idea of making a thick-walled pot, but as I started rough shaping it, i could see where the shape was headed and I'm not sure the final shape will be all that appealing. I've been staring at this for a few weeks, and I'm still not sure if I should finish off the curves as is, make it a ball, or do something else while maintaining the thick walls.

Appreciate any feedback and ideas.

Sasquatch

Re: Shape advice request

Post by Sasquatch »

If you bevel the inside edge of the bowl, it will magically make that thing appear to have more "normal" hole/wall thickness ratio. That's the magic trick on pots, as far as I can tell.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

OK, I'll just continue on to curve the underside like a traditional billiard bottom, and bevel the top.

Thanks Sasquatch
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Something that will help that pipe immensely is to really tighten up the shank/bowl transition and give the back of the bowl some cheeks. Define the back of the bowl's line as being a mirror of the front. Let the line from rim to bottom of the bowl along the back really show off the curve. Treat as separate from the shank - and yet let the shank compliment the bowl.

Also, on this particular pipe, I would suggest a slightly shorter stem. I think the stem's length is making the pipe too long for the bowl height, and is throwing off the entire form. It's tough to tell from the photos though.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yeppers. I'd agree with all three things noted there. On the whole, its a fine pot. Define the shank/bowl junction just as Kurt says. The shank should actually reach under the curve of bowl. Think of a cylinder being pressing into the underside of a ball. Or, think of the draft hole meeting the bowl, and how the edges reach out anlong the curved bottom of the bowl. That's what you're going for...only opposite. Hmmm, maybe that's not the best example.

A shorter stem will make it look much more in proportion. You might try using the golden ratio, with the bowl height being 1 and the stem length being....well, whatever that number is. At most, I'd say the stem should be about 1.5 times the bowl height. I usually just eyeball it.

Bowl bevels are nice. But you've already unchucked it, so it might be a PIA. I like the flat tops myself, but lots of folks like the bevel.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Thanks for the tips.
I think my creation method prohibited me from seeing the final look. This went from drill press, to band saw, to 80 grit sanding disc, and I stopped shaping it after putting the initial curve on the front because i started questioning myself on the design.

Lesson learned-- don't start second guessing half-way through.

And yes Nick, I only have a mini-lathe that won't hold a stummel, so the bevel is going to be a Huge PITA.

Stem may be a touch long, but I think I'll follow my above lesson and hold off on that till I start on the 400 grain sanding :D .