Jeff's Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jeff

Jeff's Pipes

Post by jeff »

Alright fellas, here they are. Fire away. Be critical. I know that the finishes are not what they could be, but I'm getting new buffing wheels this week to take care of that. Thanks alot.

Number One:

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubima ... d_=8456797

And Number two:

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubima ... d_=8456832

Although I have been critical of these myself. I want to hear your opinions on them unbiased by my own.

Oh, with village hosting, apparently you have to right click on them and ask to view image so it takes you to their site to view them. I'll have my newest one up as soon as the new buffing wheels and my shellac comes in.
Last edited by jeff on Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leus

Post by Leus »

You can't link directly to images on VillagePhotos. Use this:

Pipe One
Pipe Two
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks Leus.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Alright Jeff! Glad to see some more photos in this section. Glad also to see that the villagephoto thing works ok. Was it difficult? Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is an easy way to [Img] tag the photos into the posts. Ah, well, this is better than nothing!

To the comments:

Pipe 1

From the smokers vantage point, the pipe looks great. The bowl looks nicely symmetrical, excepting maybe a small spot in the lower right corner. It looks like some wood needs to be removed from that area. I like the thin plateau rim of the bowl. Cool little touch.

From the side of the pipe, there are few more obvious symmetry challenges. The shadow on the right side of the bowl makes it difficult to tell, but it looks like the front of the bowl extends out a little more, then makes a sharp turn underneath the bowl. Whereas the back of the bowl seems to drop almost straight down, right from the beginning. Both ideas can be made to work, I think, so long as you choose one and do both the front and back of the bowl the same way. Also, the bottom line of the pipe is a little choppy instead of a steady flowing curve.

As an aside, and apparently plenty of makers do not agree with me on this, I do not like stems that have a step transition at the tenon that bumps at an angle into the face of the shank. If a flared style of stem is used I think it looks MUCH better if the taper to the flared section of the stem begins at the tenon diameter and no step is left in the stem. (I'm not sure that made any sense...sorry.)

Pipe 2

This is an impressive pipe.

From the top view, I can see good symmetry around the bowl. This is an example of the symmetry not being 360° around the bowl, but along the axis of the shank. I like the funnelling into the bowl as well. It matches the overall feel of the pipe.

Jumping down to the side view, the profile is nice, though I think it could stand for a few tweaks. The first is the bottom of the bowl. It could use either more contrast where the shank enters the bowl, or less. By less I contrast I mean, knock that bottom bump off of the bowl, and have a smooth flow along the bottom line. By more contrast, I mean cut the shank into the bowl more, essentially highlighting the difference of the shank and bowl, and leaving the bowl with a bit of a tail hanging below the shank. (My tendency, BTW, would be to knock the bump off and make is a smooth curve.) The shank as it approaches the stem doesn't seem to match the type of stem used. It needs to flare a bit as it reaches the end, or something like that. I'm undecided as to how I would do it, but that is a little awkward as is. Also, with the end of the shank cut at an angle, I think it would look best is the flare in the stem matched that angle. That is hard to do though, and baiscally impossible if you don't hand cut the stem. This stem also has the tenon step that I am not fond of.

In all though, let me iterrate that I like this pipe a lot. I particularly like the ridge of plateau along the front of the bowl.

One thing that cannon be seen in the photos is the bend of the stem. As I have said before in commenting on other pipes, that is a small thing that often has a big impact.

Thanks for the photos Jeff, and keep carving!

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks for the comments Tyler. As you may have guessed, the first pipe is pretty sloppy, and I'm not particularly proud of it. What you can't see is that the tobacco hole is not straight, it trails to the front of the pipe, which is a problem that occured because of my own impatience with it being the first pipe I carved. Actually, these are both the first two I carved, they were done at the same time in the same day. As for the stem, there is now a new stem on this pipe. I had to use the same stem on both pipes because I didn't have a tenon turner. It is still a push military style stem, but with some curved accents instead of the flare, which I feel matches the pipe better than the flare does. As for the other pipe, I feel more confident about this one. I hear what you are saying about the step to the flare on the stem, I agree and will take care of it soon. Also, I have felt that the shank was the major weak spot of the pipe and have been thinking about ways to modify it. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably get around to reshaping it soon, and will also actually use a virgin stain prior to buffing to let the grain come out a bit more this time around. Thanks again.

Jeff
marks

Post by marks »

My comments relate to pipe number two. Overall, a very nice job. Tyler commented on the bump in the bottom of the bowl area, and I agree that no bump would really smooth out the flow of this pipe.

If you try another like this, either flare the end of the shank more (like you did on pipe number one) or try a flush fit stem. I'm not sure if flaring the end of the shank would make the pipe look too busy, but if it does, that is easily remedied (although what you did works well too, I'm just thinking of variations on the shape).

The plateux on the ridge looks great, and I like the way the pipe flows around the axis of the shank!

A very nice pipe that shows a lot of out of the box creativity (this is the part that I have the hardest time with). You should be very proud of this pipe. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Okay, here we go. I've started a webpage so I can post my pictures on this site. I hope it works.

Here are some various shots of my first pipe:

Here are some shots of my second pipe...aka Big Red:
Yeah, I know it's not completely round. That's my fault for being impatient. I completed this one at the same time as the first pipe.

Okay, I know it's a big post. But here's pipe #3. I've still got to shellac the rustication after I touch up some places that were scuffed while buffing the natural parts. I'll post some more pics when that is completed.

And finally, this is the pipe I completed this weekend. It's a birthday gift for my brother. I've got a little work to finish inside the bowl to smooth things and get rid of some of the stain around the rim. Otherwise, I am pleased with my craftmenship even though I am disappointed with the quality of the briar (note the many flaws...believe me, I got rid of the huge ones!)

Okay, that's a lot of pictures, I know. Some of them are repeated from the previous post, but I really hope to get some constructive, harsh, truthful criticism as well as some praise if indeed it is deserved. Thanks for this venue. I look forward to the responses.

Jeff

***hmm, this doesn't appear to be working. Let me figure this out and I'll edit this post later***
Last edited by jeff on Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jeff,

I can't wait to see your photos.

I am able, as admin, to edit your post, and I saw that you did do the [Img] tag correctly. Using the tag URL's I went to your home page which Yahoo claims is not set up. So I would guess that either there is an issue with your web page, or you made a typo in the URL. I bet this post will require no editing once the web site end of things is sorted out.

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Okay, I think that the pictures will work now.

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jeff,

I'm still not getting them. Strangely, if cut and paste your link, I can see them on your site. THEN, after I see them on your site, they show up in the post, I suppose because they are now in my browser's cache?

I'm confused.

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

Right, I'm confused too. Geocities is pretty junky, I guess. Let's try this. You can go to my website and view the pipes there. Here goes nothing.

Jeff's Pipes

Let me know what you all think of the pictures. If you right click the photos and click "show picture" it should blow it up for you.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Link works for me.
jeff

Post by jeff »

So, what do you think? Harsh, honest, detailed criticism please.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Geocities doesn't allow to link directly to images. Also, it limits the data transfer in Mb-per-hour basis.

I saw a poker variation in your site that I liked very much, thought.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jeff,

The poker is a nice shape. It has some nice unique ideas. The main comment I would make is that the bottom of the shank, especially near the bowl, needs some refinement. The line seems to be lost a little along that bottom shank edge. Well done on the nice, clean, uniform smooth line along the top line of the pipe. Cleanly cutting in rustication like that is difficult, and looks better, IMO, that the randomly stopping rustication.

Moving to the 4th pipe...HOLY COW! Where did that come from?!?! :D The difference between the first three pipes and that one is HUGE. Though the pictures make it a little difficult to fully understand the shape, the top left photo blows me away. The other views don't tell me much, except they seem to confirm that the first photo wasn't lying. Very nice. That was a cosmic leap! Very nice lines, proportion, and look. Well done.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I really like that poker also, but kinda like the way the stem attaaches to the bowl. I think it's different and refreshing.

the images for the 4th one aren't showing up. Drat. I really wanted to see that after Tyler's gushing....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Kurt & Tyler,

Thanks for the responses. Kurt, the site should be working for the last 4 photos of pipe #4. Check it out.

I appreciate the comments on pipe 4 Tyler. It's encouraging to hear some good responses to the pipe. I've sent the pipe to my brother for his birthday, so he better appreciate it. It's funny, even though that is the one that you liked best, and indeed thought was so dramatically different from the others, I tend to get better responses from the 3rd pipe, the poker. I had one friend who took a long look at it, said nothing for quite some time, and then looked me square in the eye and told me that I needed to start selling these because he thought it was "incredible." Of course it was encouraging, but also the comment comes from a non-pipe smoker. I just thought I'd share the differing review with you all. Thanks again for the reviews guys.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

WOW!!

That pipe is *scary* good. I'm not crazy about the color (it looks pink) - but that's probably a trick of the photography/lighting. Wow. That's all I can say. Make more!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks so much for the comments on pipe #4. So, let me ask you both, what is "scary good" worth in US$ if I were to think about making more for sale?

Thanks
Jeff