Stain and/or Shellac questions

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
mathias65

Stain and/or Shellac questions

Post by mathias65 »

I'm wondering what is the best kind of stain or dye to use? Brand name, not color. I have one bottle of light walnut alcohol based stain, but had a hell of a time getting it, and after 2 pipes I'd like to try another color. It was ordered on the web. I couldn't find any alcohol based stains in the local hardware stores. So, I'm wondering is there a good alternative to the alcohol based stains? Hopefully something that can be picked up locally and cheaply.

The same question also applies to shellac. I've never used it before and hear everyone talking about it. What is the best to get? And what is the best way to use it?
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Stain and/or Shellac questions

Post by TRS »

mathias65 wrote:I'm wondering what is the best kind of stain or dye to use? Brand name, not color.
Fiebing's Leather dye, available here -> www.pipemakers.org

You can google it and find a color chart pretty easily.
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

I use fiebing's as well and love the dye, but like you say, getting it locally is a no go. I'm beating my brains out because I wasn't paying attention and ran out of one of my stains after my last pipe. I found a cheap place to order it, but it took almost a week for the order to process and I'm still waiting on it. I can't do a thing on this pipe until I get it :banghead: Oh well. Nature of the beast.
Cheers,
Rob
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Fiebings is also available at Tandy Leather, and there's probably one near you: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com

They will ship from the closest store to you. I get mine overnight for a nominal fee since I've close enough to get overnight via USPS, but too far to realistically drive.

For Shellac, unless you're mixing your own, there's only one brand to use - Zinsser. For shellac flakes to mix your own, Behlen or Liberon are both high quality.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

thanks for all the info.

what is the purpose of the shellac? the advantage of using it as opposed to just waxing? forgive the noob question, please.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

To echo Kurt, any leather shop probably carries Fiebings. Google leather shop or Tanner and see if there is one near you. :)

There are lots of threads in this sub-forum about why/how to use shellac. In a nut shell, it sets your stain and gives you a nice hard surface to buff to a shine. :wink:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

mathias65 wrote:what is the purpose of the shellac? the advantage of using it as opposed to just waxing? forgive the noob question, please.
It's just another method for finishing a pipe. Not everyone uses it, and it is not required. Those that do use it are employing it to aid in setting stain and provide a high gloss finish. It is not, as some mistakenly believe, used as *the* finish. That misconception seems to have been promulgated by folks that equate it's use with cheap basket pipes that have a lacquer or some other hard shell finish.

I would strongly suggest to all those just starting out that they not bother with shellac for now, and instead focus on the more functional aspects of pipe making. The road to shellac use is filled with pitfalls and potholes.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

thanks much! :)
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

Yeah I think an hour drive would be better than paying/waiting for shipping. Thanks.
Cheers,
Rob
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That depends. For me an hour in the truck is three or four gallons of fuel. It makes more sense to pay for shipping. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

That's a good point. I just want instant gratification :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Rob
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

If there is a shoemaker or a shoe repair shop or leather shop anywhere close they will more than likely have Fiebings. I am lucky to have a shoe repair shop in town and they have all the colors one would ever need. Also you might check places that sell shoes, most of them carry a few colors of dye. I have bought dye at Payless Shoes before. Sometimes you can find a few colors at grocery stores and department stores. On occasion I have bought it at Drug Emporium, Wally World and Walgreens. Most of these places will only have a few basic colors, tan, light or dark brown and black. bob