Pipe Stamp Size

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
d6monk

Pipe Stamp Size

Post by d6monk »

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about getting a stamp to stamp my pipes, but while I was designing the logo (I was thinking of using a circular logo) I realized I didn't know what size I wanted it to be. I don't want it to be so small you can't read it, but I also don't want it so big that it is distracting or that I have trouble fitting it on any of my pipes. I was wondering what sizes your guys pipe stamps are.

Thanks!
T3pipes

Re: Pipe Stamp Size

Post by T3pipes »

A&M steel stamps made mine, and may others amsteelstamps@yahoo.com. It is 1/4 by 1/2. He doesn't have a website, but send him your design and he can talk you through what does and does not work for a stamp.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Yep, Paul can help you know what is actually possible and get you set up properly.

My primary stamp is oval shaped, and it is definitely on the large size (3/8" wide). The bigger it is, the harder it is to get a clear impression of the entire stamp.

My two cents...go smaller than you think you need to. The stamp should be an afterthought, not a focal point on your pipe. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have simple stamps made by Paul ages and ages ago. Just three stamps:
Kurt Huhn
Handmade
USA

Then I have grade stamps - which I'm considering changing from the current group of different stamps to a single stamp that will be impressed multiple times for higher grades. Or something....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Leus

Post by Leus »

I got mine from Paul too. I asked for lettering following an oval pattern; sadly, it is extremely difficult to get good stamps. My next stamp will be smaller.
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I wanted to know, I didn't think about the increased difficulty in stamping with a larger sized stamp.

Leus, exactly how large is your stamp? I don't want to have too many problems with getting a good impression.

Simeon, is your 3/8" wide (and I'm guessing 1/2" long) stamp hard to get a good impression with because of it's size. If I went with an oval stamp I was thinking about using 3/8" x 1/2"

Thanks again you guys, I really appreciate it!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I measured my stamp to be sure...it is actually about 11/16" wide (from the widest part of the oval across to the other side), and 1/4" tall. As long as I am "rolling" the stamp on to a nice round surface, it is usually not too hard to make a clean, solid impression. However, the width of the stamp makes it hard to find a suitable position for stamping on certain pipes, and flat surfaces are nearly impossible to get a good impression on.

If you are wanting an oval stamp, I would suggest something more like 1/2 the dimensions of mine. Far more simple to apply to almost any shape you are wanting to apply it to. Maybe 3/8" wide and 1/4" tall...ish.

Oh, and make sure you make yourself a nice wide handle for it once you get it (like a doorknob). That will make it far easier to apply with nice even pressure. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Just to reiterate that a smaller stamp is much easier to use. Mine is large at 5/8 x 1/4. Its a real pain to roll it on. Paul tried to convince me that it would be a difficult stamp, but I'm stubborn. I like Kurts idea with separate stamps.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My separate stamps are completely drama-less to apply.

On the other hand, I had a stamp made for a club pipe about a year ago and it was rather large at about 3/8 by 5/8 and it was a complete pain in the ass to apply.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com