Billiard rim

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Billiard rim

Post by staffwalker »

Is there a hard and fast standard for the shape of billiard bowl rim. I see some makers who leave them completely flat, others who leave the inside high and taper out, others who do the reverse and taper from outside to inside. Others who round the top so the rim is high in the middle and tapers to both inside and outside. Is there a standard or is it just what looks best with a particular piece? bob
Tezet

Re: Billiard rim

Post by Tezet »

Hi, I'm new here, i don't know if there is any standard exept that i ussualy see billard pipes with a flat bowl rim. I personaly prefer to leace the inside high and taper out! :)

Martin
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I prefer to give a small 1/16" wide bevel on the inside of the rim, and lightly dome the rest. Lightly.

I have no idea if that's "the right way", but it's how I do it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Pipe dependant, I would say. I think it depends on the relative dimensions of the walls, height, thickness, and the diameter of the bore on the pipe. I did a pot awhile ago that was nice enough in terms of shape, but just looked very flat and bulky. Bevelled the inside of the rim and wow, suddenly it looked just right. But that's a pipe with very perpendicular walls.

If your billiard is cheating toward brandy in shape, then Kurt's treatment does tend to look sharp - a very small interior bevel to define the bowl (and make it look like less of a jagged hole) and a slight softening of the outside corner.

At full brandy shape, the top is already fairly thin and leaving it flat looks fine.

Just my .02
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Personally, I don't like a flat rim, so I chamfer or slightly round all of the bowl rims on my pipes.

There are no rules.

Rad
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

RadDavis wrote:There are no rules.
That kinda sounds like a rule to me... :P

I like to give mine a double bevel sometimes. I bevel the bowl slightly, then round it off on top, then bevel the outside towards the stummel.

Glad to know I wasn't breaking any rules.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com