big bowls and flavor

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
dogwood

big bowls and flavor

Post by dogwood »

is it true that a larger bowl pipe allows for flavor to develop more?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: big bowls and flavor

Post by KurtHuhn »

I do not find this to be true - at least not with the tobacco I smoke. It is possible that a large bowl of aromatics may take to this, pulling flavor from all the tobacco that the smoke passes through.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

I think in a large diameter bowl there is less chance for the wood to interfere with the flavour of tobacco since the circumferential part of tobacco is usually not well burnt. The chamber wall is a collector of tar, moisture, ash and all sorts of dirt. If it also happens to be a pipe made of "grizzly bears' butt" briar, the intrusion on smoke flavour is even more violent. The disadvantage of a large bowl is a harder draw (sucking in more cool air) and difficulty of lighting. However, the above may be more theoretical than practically perceptible.
FredS

Post by FredS »

Large diameter bowls (>1”[25mm]) work well for aromatics. I don’t really like pot shapes, but I have two set aside for aros because the flavor is so much better in them.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

i keep reading tobacco reviews where people say that they prefer a tobacco in a pipe with a large bowl.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I keep reading tobacco reviews where people say "Now, I'm not an aromatic smoker...." and then they go on to review an aromatic and say that it was goopy and cloying and didn't taste like real tobacco; then they give it 1 star. Don't take all those reviews too much to heart..... :)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Agreed! If I read a review about a blend heavy on orientals and someone who gave Prince Albert a favorable review says it tastes like camel crap - chances are I'll order it. :D

The reviews are good for looking at what folks who like the same tobaccos you do, think of tobaccos you're interested in. Beyond that, since everything about pipe smoking is subjective, you really have to end up taking matters into your own hands - so to speak.

For some tobaccos I like big bowls. For some I prefer smaller ones. It depends on the tobacco, and the pipe.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
FredS

Post by FredS »

KurtHuhn wrote:. . . It depends on the tobacco, and the pipe.
And the alignement of the stars. And the status of the wifes cycle. And the price of gas.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

FredS wrote:And the status of the wifes cycle.
This is key. I'll be enjoying a big bowl tonight.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

OK, but big bowl maybe a wide bowl or a high bowl, or wide and high ;) IMHO, both act totally differently. I've made the mistake to smoke Irish Flake or Three Nuns from a 1.1" dia 1.5" bowl. Well, I cannot tell how tasty it was but the nico and smoke hit me like a truck. So I guess Fred's right with the aros as they tend to be extra-light to light-medium in strength.