New stem makers

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
kkendall

New stem makers

Post by kkendall »

For those of us learning to make our own stems, may I recommend that you make a few out of clear or translucent materials so
you can SEE what your slots look like. I made this one to stick on one of my own pipes...

Here is one I just finished
ToddJohnson

Re: New stem makers

Post by ToddJohnson »

Kim,

That's a really great idea. The only real issue is the difference between working with lucite and working with ebonite--two different animals. I would say, though, that if you can cut a stem with internals as nice as that, you're doing great. Good work and a very good tip, Kim.

TJ
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Holy moly. I figure I got a gooder if a greased pipe cleaner goes through with only 3 or 4 major hitches. Guess I better up the ante.

I've been doing similar stuff, Kim, really working on getting smooth airways and a deep, well cut slot that transitions trouble free into the tapered tubular section. I've been using a lot of really bright lights cuz I'm too stupid to get something clear to work with. :roll:

I sure hate acrylic though.... just hate working it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Sasquatch wrote:I've been using a lot of really bright lights cuz I'm too stupid to get something clear to work with.
I got some flak when I posted this a few years back, but since age has trashed my near vision I find mine invaluable for peering into mortises, stems, assorted orifi ( :roll: ),etc.: Otoscope
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Nick

Post by Nick »

Clear lucite is great to learn on. And after that, working with vulcanite is a breeze. using clear stuff is a must for beginners.