Sodium Silicate

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Sodium Silicate

Post by KurtHuhn »

I just found this, looking for a source online:
http://www.chemistrystore.com/sodium_silicate.htm

Good price?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Red

Sodium Silicate

Post by Red »

I'll bite; what do you do with sodium silicate??
ToddJohnson

Re: Sodium Silicate

Post by ToddJohnson »

Red wrote:I'll bite; what do you do with sodium silicate??
It's for sealing concrete, poisoning children and puppies, etching glass, and harming the elderly. Some of us also use it as a binding agent for our bowl coatings. :twisted:

Todd
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

It's a corrosive chemical that some chose to put into their pipes to bind charcoal to the walls of the pipe to prevent burnouts. The Material Safety Data sheets i have found have all said that it is toxic, and a corrosive, and it will etch glass if spilt on it.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Do these MSDS say in what form sodium silicate is a toxic corrosive?

Surely not when dry, or it wouldn't be on so may concrete floors.

All that walking, scraping, etc. on those floors is sure to create some airborne sodium silicate dust.

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

Bingo
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

Im not a chemist and neither is anyone else here, but I have worked in construction and when someone redoes a floor that has been treated with it they do have to, by law put up some sort of barrier so that the airborne dust doesnt get ingested and the workers have to wear respirators. Now if this is because of airborne cement dust or the chemicals sprayed on it i dont know. IMO it is becasue of both the chemicals and the cement dust itself.

Is is toxic in its dry state, dont know. And i dont want to find out 40 yrs from now that i is and im dying from lung problems.

I do know that i emailed a technician that works with and handles the stuff, and asked them if the application of this chemical was ok to use inside a pipe. They said they have heard of it before, but the tech. said he would never smoke it themselves. I guess its a judgement call if you use it its fine to others it may not be, its totally up to whoever wants to put it into their pipe. I personally wouldnt want to take a chance.

Hey Artguy why dont you ask a chemist at school if they would smoke a pipe with that stuff in it?
BriarBlues

Sodium Silicate

Post by BriarBlues »

Guys, Guys, Guys .... here we go again.

Now I have it IN writing that a well known ultra high grade maker ( Joe Frump ) uses the following mixture.... sodium silicate, sodium propionate, potassium sorbate, eye of newt, wing of bat, Mississippi river mud, and binds it all together with green mint Jello!

Each of you has a different opinion on the material. Just as many have differing opions on Dead Root briar. Believe what the hell you want! Use what you prefer. Then move along and make some freaking pipes! In one week is another show. Make briar dust not re hashing a subject that has already been closed.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

BriarBrian wrote: I do know that i emailed a technician that works with and handles the stuff, and asked them if the application of this chemical was ok to use inside a pipe. They said they have heard of it before, but the tech. said he would never smoke it themselves. I guess its a judgement call if you use it its fine to others it may not be, its totally up to whoever wants to put it into their pipe. I personally wouldnt want to take a chance.

Hey Artguy why dont you ask a chemist at school if they would smoke a pipe with that stuff in it?
Seriously Brian I don't understand, if you don't use the stuff and are completely satisfied with your own bowl coating, why you would go to so much trouble, spend so much time and effort building a case against it, e-mailing chemists, finding data sheets, and posting so vehemently against its use. What's the point? I'm sure you can put your skills as a pipemaker to better use on this board. Instead of simply trolling for posts on bowl coatings why don't you start a thread about sandblasting--something you do quite well? I'm sure numerous people here would benefit more from a discussion of that than your posting material data sheets about chemicals many could care less about. Please don't contribute to an ASP-like atmosphere here.

Todd
jeff

Post by jeff »

To be quite honest, I would love to read a post with Brian detailing the sandblasting procedure. That is something that I have not yet tried and would not know where to begin. Everything, from materials, hardware, and process, would be very very helpful for me to read as well as, I'm sure, many other people on this board. Would you write on that in another thread Brian?

Thanks,

Jeff