banding supplies

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
pipeguy

banding supplies

Post by pipeguy »

does anyone know where I can get bands in bulk ???? Im trying to get around the middleman thanx Bob Clark
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
JHowell

Re: banding supplies

Post by JHowell »

I've tried to find bulk rings. The very cheapest thing to to is to buy the formed wire and solder up the rings yourself. A rolling mill would be nice, but you can form around a mandrel without too much trouble. I've dealt with these guys for a long time, they're decent:

http://www.sfjssantafe.com/

A close second for inexpensiveness is to look at flea markets, farmer's markets, craft shows -- there's usually somebody who does what I just described and is trying to make a couple of bucks. If you order a number of rings somebody like this will usually give you a break. You could probably find some wholesaler who will sell you rings made in Thailand for less, but you can only use so many rings in one size.

EDIT -- whoops, you said bands. Sorry. Sheet is trickier to solder, but you could still do it, I'll bet, and it would be easier to form. Maybe you could find a silversmith who's hurting for work to do a bunch for you. That's really cutting out the middleman.

Jack
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

PME sells silver(.925) and nickel bands ranging from 12mm to 25mm as well as all the tools needed to band a pipe

i think they sell them single or by the dozen...

q
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My recent foray into silverwork as taught me several things. The primary thing is that, I need more practice at silverwork. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

KurtHuhn wrote:My recent foray into silverwork as taught me several things. The primary thing is that, I need more practice at silverwork. :)
Did you do any spinning? If so, please elaborate.

Jack
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a knife here that I'm working on silver adornments for - mostly lacy pierced stuff that is a complete pain in my butt, but doable. It's the first part, forming the silver to shape over a complex curve, and then soldering pieces together without overheating the metal or breaking previous solder joints. It's all about finesse, and now I understand why my father in law had such teensy-tiny torches for soldering.

Metal spinning looks like loads of fun, and is on my to-do list. I just need about 6 more hours in every day to make time to give it a go. Over the last few months I've made a few tools, and modified an old and beat up toolrest to use. Just need time to do it....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com