Better way to make a full bent stem?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Nick

Better way to make a full bent stem?

Post by Nick »

So I was thinking about full bent pipes and their stems. One of the biggest problems with such stems is that the draft hole can get crimpted in the bending. And i thought, well, you could just not bend it so far, as some of Nanna Ivarsson's full bent pipes are. The trouble is that when you do this, the button is at an odd angle. So, I thought, what if you made the button at a different angle to the stem. Then you could have a button square to the pipe, but less of a bend to the stem. Somthing like this:

I'd love to hear your thoughts. This was just one of those silly musings that I had.
Ryan

Re: Better way to make a full bent stem?

Post by Ryan »

Nick wrote: One of the biggest problems with such stems is that the draft hole can get crimpted in the bending.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I really dont think the angle of the button has anything to do with the stem crimping while bending. I know some people will put a pipe cleaner in the stem while heating and bending the stem. If you heat the stem evenly you can get the stem to do almost anything as long as the thicknes of the stem material is even and your not trying to do too sharp of an angle with it.

If I saw a button shaped like that I would think someone screwed up ... sorry. :thumbsup:

Ryan
Last edited by Ryan on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I agree, I've never had a problem with a bend in a stem constricting the draw. Perhaps the draw needs to be more open to begin with.

Jack
Nick

Post by Nick »

OK. I suppose I was thinking mostly about the Oom Paul shape. Also, please note that in my picture, the strait stems are essentially the stem shown before bending. Not a stem for a strait pipe.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I understand what your talking about, but to me it just wouldn't look right. The button is always perpendicular to the stem.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

The tight fitting pipe cleaner(s) in the draught hole while bending will keep the internal diameter constant. You're stretching material on the top of the stem. Make sure not file/sand away too much on the top side of the stem where you're bending because the thickness thins.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I've never had a problem with a full bend.....and again I have a thing about bending a stem that far. Oddly enough the design on your sketch has been implemented before. I owm 3 Dan Pipe Shape reformed and they all have that type of button. When I got the first one I thought the same ting, someone screwed up. It wasn't untill I acquired two more and they had the smae button that I thought hmmm this was done on purpose. I can't remember the Dane I was talking to about this at Richmond one year., But he attributed it to Gert Holbek.
Here's a shot of one of mine:
[imgImage
][/img]

http://www.danishpipemakers.com/makers/ ... ndex.shtml

I t may have been Jesper, but I was smoking this pipe and he commented on it and we got into a long discussion about Dan-Pipe and the peop;e who carved for them
Best Regards
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Nick I think it would look a little odd, but I bet it would work really well.

FWIW I put a pipe cleaner in when I bend.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ckr

Post by ckr »

For me it would work only as a hanger on 22-27.
As a clencher I think it would be like looking down the barrel of a cannon when the bit is sitting on 19/20 or the other side.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'd forgotten that Gert Holbeck did this! yep, you're totally right. Nothing new under then sun eh?