Developing one's palate

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Developing one's palate

Post by bikedoctor »

m.c. wrote:Hi, BeatusLiebowitz, when you are itching for new tobaccos, I think it's better to first nail down what *types* of backy you particularly like...
m.c. brought up a good point from another thread about knowing the "type" of tobaccos you like. What would you more experienced smokers site as the bench mark for each type of tobacco (Latakia, Burley, Virginia, etc.) to help us newbies develope our palate?
Thanks.
Kevin
tritrek

Re: Developing one's palate

Post by tritrek »

I don't consider myself to be an experienced smoker but the first thing that comes to my mind is: *try* :roll:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

tritrek wrote:I don't consider myself to be an experienced smoker but the first thing that comes to my mind is: *try* :roll:
Indeed, you will learn what you do and dont like by trying alot of tobaccos. Then you'll find what is is about those tobaccos you like so much and persue that peticular taste.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yes. Experiement. That was the only way I found my regular tobaccos. The tradeoff is that I ended up giving away a lot of stuff that I don't like - even stuff that other folks claim to be the absolute best of a given style. What I smoke is actually classified as being harsh and overpowering by a lot of people.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Not sure if I'd call these "benchmark", as personal tastes change as well as tinned batches from season to season, but these are my current favorites:

Virginia - McCranie's Red Ribbon / Hal O the Wynd (Rattray's) / Blackwoods Flake (McClelland)
Latakia - Penzance (Esoterica)
Perique - Three Nuns (when I can get it) / Escudo (A.C. Peterson)
Burley - don't smoke it much, but Orlik's Dark Fired Kentucy is interesting

Balkan - Balkan Sasieni
Hardcore - Black Irish X (Gawith & Hoggarth)

I mix my own English type blends now and I can't remember a favorite beyond Penzance.

I doesn't hurt to start experimenting with the good stuff (in my humble personal opinion, YMMV, insert (Kurt's) disclaimer here). Warning: My palate may be scarred, these tobaccos are not mild, except maybe Red Ribbon, which is really wonderful.
Last edited by kbadkar on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

KurtHuhn wrote:What I smoke is actually classified as being harsh and overpowering by a lot of people.
Ditto. You can read reviews on Tobaccoreviews.com until your eyeballs fall out, and you still won't have a clue, at least until you've smoked enough different tobaccos to figure out which of the reviewers there have similar tastes to you versus the ones who are just there to bitch and moan about how strong/revolting/permanently pipe-fouling everything but their own personal favorite is. :roll:

You may find you love straight virginias, or you may be like me and lose the lining off your entire oral cavity at the first puff of one. I used to love English blends, but now most of 'em are too hot for me. That doesn't mean they aren't good. I've pretty much settled on a very narrow rotation of Gawith's 1792, Gawith's black XX twist, Gawith's brown rope, and on rare occasion Dunhill Royal Yacht. And on long cold winter days when I'm hiding in the garage, I even sneak a tiny bowl of Firedance where manly men can't watch... :shock: And then there's those times when nothing but Prince Albert will do.

If you look those up, you'll find a wide range of opinions on their relative merits, but they seem to inspire very strong emotions either for or against, with no middle ground. The moral of this story? Apparently I'm a wierdo. Wait, that's not the moral! The moral is we all like different things, and you won't know until you try.
REH

Post by REH »

Ah...my first post.
I agree with everyone here but I would stongly suggest staying away from those Open jars of tobbacco sold in your local B&M tobacco store. Stick with a quality brand. IMO GL Pease not only provides quality tobacco they do a pretty good job of describing each blend. I have tried almost all of his blends and the only one I didn't like was Key Largo but I dont think I have ever tried a cigar leaf blend that I did like.

Another suggestion is don't give away the ones you dont like too quickly (unless your giving them to me). My first experience with Penzance was not plesant but after about 6 months of aging that stuff turns into some really tasty baccy!!!

If your intersted my current rotation
Westminster, english, GLP
Telegraph Hill, VaPer, GLP
Penzance, english --- I smoke this in my shop cause the wife cant stand the smell...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Alan L wrote: You may find you love straight virginias, or you may be like me and lose the lining off your entire oral cavity at the first puff of one.
I used to think I was the only one, and the sometimes elitist attitude of folks that smoke "nothing but the finest lightly cured virginia flake" didn't help things either. After a couple incidents that nearly required tongue replacement surgery, I decided to try the stuff that these people claimed was revolting and vomit inducing. Turns out I like most of that stuff. :)

Like Alan, I smoke 1792 and XX Rope. I also really like C&D Byzantium, which is a stronger flavor than Penzance while being a little "creamier" (hard to describe). Actually, Byzantium seems to have a flavor similar to *very* aged Penzance (as in 10+ years old). I also really like C&D Mississippi Mud, and GLP Maltese Falcon. And there are also times where a quick smoke is needed, and for that I like to stuff a pipe half full of Halfzware - not exactly a pipe tobacco, but it works.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
REH

Post by REH »

Byzantium seems to have a flavor similar to *very* aged Penzance (as in 10+ years old)
Byzantium wil be in my next order!!!
I used to think I was the only one, and the sometimes elitist attitude of folks that smoke "nothing but the finest lightly cured virginia flake" didn't help things either.

I guess I am just a Hillbilly as well. Not only does it bite it seems tastless to me.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Thanks guys.

I just wanted some direction as my funds are limited. Plus I like to see what each person considers a good candidate for each type of tobacco. Telling??? Maybe.
Kevin
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

All those that eschew Virginia, give Red Ribbon a try *present crop for sale is fantastic now and will age very well*. They call it Virginia, but it's Carolinian grown. I don't find that Virginias bite (slow puffing?), but this one won't and you may find why they call Viriginia "sweet" (without casings). It's tinned by McClelland (from a crop purchased by the pipe shop), so it has that typical MC ketchup smell, but it goes away if you leave the tin open a night.

I'm putting in an order for Byzantium as well.

I should add, that although I don't smoke much Burley pipe tobacco... the homegrown makes really fine hand rolled cigs.
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

I'm new too and I quess I'm lucky to have a good tobaconist in my area- Boston. I've been trying an ounce of this or that from the store brand display jars. That's my approach. It seems like a very personal thing so you probably need to find your own favorite.

Virginia Red is mild and sweet. Cavandish is a little stronger. The red ribbon is nice though. It's growing on me. It definately has a pungent odor before burning.
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

wouldn't the bulk store jars be the same as bulk name brands? the ones at my local, levitt and pierce (cambridge, ma), are really great. there's enough people in and out of there that there's turn over and it's not sitting around or anything. that said i haven't tried any tinned yet.
FredS

Post by FredS »

dogwood wrote:wouldn't the bulk store jars be the same as bulk name brands?
Depends. Some local tobacconist really make their own blends. Some buy commercial bulk blends and label them as such. Some buy commercial bulk blends, dump it in a jar, stick their own name on it and swear it's a custom blend made in-house.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

dogwood wrote:wouldn't the bulk store jars be the same as bulk name brands?
Not necessarily. Tobacconists can buy bulk blends from the major brand name manufacturers, stick it in the jar and call it by it's true brand name. But since something like McClelland 5100 isn't catchy enough or doesn't hint at it's constituents, they often rename them... let's call it "Pierce's Pirate Red"! Or, they'll use say, Dunhill's My Mixture 965 as a benchmark for imitation. They'll either mix up their own interpretation or buy bulk imitations from another blender and call it say, "Our Mixture 965". Or maybe the tobacconist has an in-house blender that mixes up tobacco to his own or customer tastes. These blends are created by mixing bulk tobaccos supplied by the main manufacturers.
there's enough people in and out of there that there's turn over and it's not sitting around or anything.
Tobacco does not go "bad" sitting in those jars. You don't need high turnover to get fresh tobacco, because you actually don't want fresh tobacco. If the tobacco is a little dry out of the jar, just re-humidify.
that said i haven't tried any tinned yet.
Tinning a blend does something different to the tobacco than if it is just mixed and left in jars. It's kinda like whiskey in a barrel. The whiskey ages and changes character in the barrel. Once it is out of the barrel, it is no longer "aging", no matter how old since it was bottled. Tinning allows an anaerobic fermentation and marriage of flavors that you just don't seem to get out of a jar, at least not on the same scale. Tins can age for decades and really change character over time. Anyway, play with what your tobacconist has in bulk, but do explore your tinned options and draw your own conclusions
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Opps, Fred, didn't mean to overlap your comment... we posted simutaneouslyish.
Last edited by kbadkar on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FredS

Post by FredS »

Great minds think alike.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

thanks for the great info guys. i have to inquire about where my local shop gets their jar tobacco. i'll have to try some tinned too.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Smoke rope in small bowls! At least until you've developed a tolerance.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I can't find C&Ds Byzantium? :evil: