How BAD does it have to be?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
souljer

How BAD does it have to be?

Post by souljer »

Hi,

I've been working on a few pieces lately and one is turning out nice. However it has shown several flaws which are bigger than the typical pin-point black dot. :filth-n-foul:

So my question is how bad do flaws have to get before you decide not to sell the piece. It still will be a perfectly good pipe, just not flawless. Would you try to work around these issues and still sell this pipe, or would you keep it?

In this case the smaller sand spots don't bother me too much but the larger crack on the bowl's side is some kind of ugly. This block had several of these types of fissures which came and went with shaping. There is a smaller version on the back of the bowl just below the larger spot. The pit on the shank is bad; large and cavernous looking. I mean that's really a hole, at this point.

Someone suggested rusticating the thing, but I don't think I want to do that.

As I state in the image; it's starting to look like this year's birthday pipe. I'll finish it up and see where it's at then, but I don't think some of those flaws are going away. At least I like the shape this time...

Any opinions or experiences to share?
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
TreverT

Re: How BAD does it have to be?

Post by TreverT »

I would not sell it. That's a classic sandblast candidate, though.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Gunnar,

This is why you should have a blasting setup.

Rad
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'd blast it too. Depending on if the flaws "travel", it might or might not get sold.
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hi,

"Not sell, but a classic sandblast candidate"?

Meaning you would blast it and keep it? After sandblasting I imagine it would look fine. Do you have concerns regarding the flaws?

I know I need to get a sandblasting rig. I can't sandblast 3 or 4 pipes a year at Chicago. That's pathetic, but it's all I got right now. I didn't even go this year. However I really don't have a place to put it considering the noise, etc. and I really can't afford it considering my lack of recognition. Sandblasting the pipe is fine, but who'd want to buy them? I can't justify the expense if I can't sell the pieces. I'd just be another unknown guy who thinks he can be the next JT Cooke.

I don't find that scenario very motivating.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
jeff

Post by jeff »

Gunner,

Rusticate it. If you can't blast it (have you checked into renting time on a blasting unit? Sometimes this is possible) then rusticate it. But NEVER sell such a pipe with a flaw in it if you want to develop a solid reputation in the future. I have only ever considered finishing pipes smooth if the sand spots are very very tiny--no cavity at all. These are nice looking pipes, but the flaws are eyesores. do what needs to be done and sell them at ~1/2 price as is typical for a rusticated pipe.

Jeff
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Souljer wrote:Hi,

"Not sell, but a classic sandblast candidate"?

Meaning you would blast it and keep it? After sandblasting I imagine it would look fine. Do you have concerns regarding the flaws?

I know I need to get a sandblasting rig. I can't sandblast 3 or 4 pipes a year at Chicago. That's pathetic, but it's all I got right now. I didn't even go this year. However I really don't have a place to put it considering the noise, etc. and I really can't afford it considering my lack of recognition. Sandblasting the pipe is fine, but who'd want to buy them? I can't justify the expense if I can't sell the pieces. I'd just be another unknown guy who thinks he can be the next JT Cooke.

I don't find that scenario very motivating.
I think Trever meant that he wouldn't sell it as a smooth, but would blast it and sell it.

I think it would be fine as a blast, but you never know how big the flaws will get until you blast it.

If you can't blast, the only alternative is to rusticate, if you want to sell it. Otherwise, Happy Birthday!

Rad
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Ditto to what everyone else said. If you rusticate it well, it should be a piece you can sell, but probably not a good idea to try to sell it as is without selling at at about 85% off. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Skip

Post by Skip »

I do not jump at the chance to blast a pipe but..... I have observed that pipes with nice blasts are easier to sell than smooths. This seems to hold up for both my pipes and the other brands we sell.
I had some straight grain Peterson pipes that I had in stock for about 15 years before selling them at half price.
Early on in my pipe making career I made a smooth pipe that I thought was fantastic. No one bought it and I sand blasted this flawless pipe. Sold it the next day.

I agree with the other guys. If you can sand blast do it and if not rusticate that bad boy.

Skip Elliott
Nick

Post by Nick »

See if you have a good buddy with a blaster?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Hey Gunnar, that poker variant is a great looking shape. I really like it and I'm not a huge fan of pokers. Add me to the sandblast or rusticate and sell camp. A good sandblast would look awesome on that pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Yes, to clarify my comment, I would sandblast it and THEN decide what to do with it. It looks like it would be a good candidate for sandblasting, unless the flaws go extremely deep into the bowl, but you won't find that out until you actually blast it. Once blasted, you can decided whether you think the flaws, if they remain, count against selling or not.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
simstick

Post by simstick »

How about half rusticated that covers the pits? One of my favorite pipes, a GBD is made that way.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Hey Gunnar,

Any progress?
Kevin
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You could rusticate it then blast it. A lot of guys have had really great outcomes doing this. :thumbsup:

Ryan
Nick

Post by Nick »

Or you could rub it in your butt crack and then send it to a "friend" and a peace offering pipe.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Nick wrote:Or you could rub it in your butt crack and then send it to a "friend" and a peace offering pipe.
Wait...you want him to "stink palm" the pipe?! I dont want to be anywhere nere it, when that pipe gets hot :lol: .
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ryan wrote:
Nick wrote:Or you could rub it in your butt crack and then send it to a "friend" and a peace offering pipe.
Wait...you want him to "stink palm" the pipe?! I dont want to be anywhere nere it, when that pipe gets hot :lol: .
Yep, that's just what I'd do.