Question about "spit coats"

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
MikeStanley

Question about "spit coats"

Post by MikeStanley »

I had to buy a new can of shellac the other day. Accidentally, I bought lacquer instead. When I opened the can, there was quite a bit of odor. Is it ok to use a lacquer (it's clear) cut with alcohol as one would use shellac?
Thanks
Mike Stanley
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I wouldn't.

TJ
MikeStanley

Post by MikeStanley »

Thanks Todd. I didn't think so, therefore I didn't. Anybody need a small can of lacquer? lol
Mike Stanley
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

They aren't the same compound. Shellac is better at sealing in sap and that kind of thing, but allowing wood to breathe. The old Nitro-cellulose lacquers might be better for pipes, but the newer stuff tends to have all kinds of hardeners and additives to make it work well for the average joe. What it means for a pipe is that you'll wind up with a coating that really doesn't want to be worked on and will make any further stain touchups etc extremely difficult.
MikeStanley

lacquer

Post by MikeStanley »

Thanks.
Now, just to be clear. I sometimes use shellac, cut about 5-1 with a 91% iso something alcohol. As the last step prior to carnuba, I paint this on and wipe it off before it drys. I know many here do this for a polished finish. The reason I ask about lacquer, beside the fact that I screwed up and bought it is because I read where Bo (if I may be so familiar) used something called I believe Zapon Lacquer to accomplish this. I was assuming this was just a brand preference. perhaps it's not?
Mike Stanley
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

I've worked with Zapon pretty extensively. Done right, it's a better finish than shellac, which isn't really (IMO) an ideal choice for pipes anyway, but Zapon is very picky and only works on certain surfaces. I wouldn't recommend messing with nitrocellulose lacquers unless you're willing to devote a lot of time to learning to use them, and have a lot of patience for experimentation.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The nice thing about shellac and various lacquers is that you can thin em down to where they are rubbable, and do super thin coats, rather than glopping on like Varathane or something (unless you work for Mastro Beraldi, in which case globs of varathane will be the norm).

I suspect most of these finishes could be made to work, but a guy is going to have to spend a lot of time learning the tricks of each one.

Does a guy still topcoat with wax if you've used lacquer as an enhancer/protector?
MikeStanley

Post by MikeStanley »

Sasquatch;

I wouldn't call it a top coat. The shellac is pretty thin to begin with and is mostly wiped off. Truth be told, in my case, it does more to even out stain than anything else. I use carnuba afterits dried. Doesn't take very long at all in the warmer months.
Mike Stanley