Aging Tobacco and Storage

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Aging Tobacco and Storage

Post by bikedoctor »

Recently I have listened to some cigar podcasts (Dog Watch Radio) just because Oom Paul hasen't had anything on for a while. During the casts I hear about the methodical and scientific ways in which the cigar aficianado monitors temp. and moisture of their precious sticks.
Question?
What do I need to be doing (or not doing) to protect my growing collection of tins and pouches?
And, considering the time it takes for a tobacco to go from production to resale, is there any credance in the idea of aging pipe tobacco?
Kevin
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

Hi Kevin,
I would say the vast majority of pipe smokers that cellar their tobaccos use mason or canning jars to store their tobacco. You'll find that Virginia tobaccos age very well and tend to mellow over time from 6 months on up to 20 years or more. Latakia based blends tend to mellow as well but lose some of the smoky punch over the years. Aromatics for the most part stay the same as the day they were purchased with no change. Burley blends are in the same category as aromatics as they don't change much over time. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Kevin
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Unopened tins will age well. You need do nothing to them. In fact, if you follow ebay, for example, you will find old tins (10 years or more) sell for a lot more than new ones. Pouches will not age well. Normally, those tobaccos are sub-standard anyway. If you want to store them without drying out, seal in canning (mason) jars. I find my own blends "marry" flavors and develop more subtle characteristics after a few years. I agree with the second Kevin about how the different tobacco types age. Perique, like Latakia, mellows nicely over time, rounding off the sharp edges and sweetening a bit.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Thank you guys.
Kevin
dogwood

Re: Aging Tobacco and Storage

Post by dogwood »

i've built up a little collection of tobaccos that i have in mason jars. i'm assuming you should store it out of direct sunlight and in a cool place?

you don't have to worry about it drying out correct? the tobacco i buy seems to start out nice and moist which i like so i'm not too worried about it getting too dry.
giospro

Post by giospro »

What's a good Temperature for storing Tobacco?
Gios
Professional Golfer

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE."
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

70 deg F, 70 % relative humidity is ideal for aging "exposed" tobacco.

But you don't have to be so strict about the temperature, especially if it is an unopen tin or a sealed jar. Some people actually like to "stove" their tins right before opening - like keeping the tin on a hot dashboard in direct windshield sunlight for a day or popping it in a 200-250 deg oven for a couple hours. For long term storage, keep it in a cool place out of direct sunlight. The tobacco should be moist enough to be pliable, but not spongy. If it dries out, add a "pouch button" to add a little moisture. If it is too moist, allow it to air dry a bit (top off or ajar).
giospro

Post by giospro »

Right now my basement (Storage area) gets about 50 Deg F (Winter time) or so, tobacco's in a mason jars in a cooler, you think that alright?
Gios
Professional Golfer

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE."
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That should be perfectly fine.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com