Dunhill wrapped in leather

General pipe discussion
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

kbadkar wrote::confused: Huh?

Wait a sec, did you just call me a pipe sucker?
Perhaps, I am alluding to a paranoid condition among a percentage of pipesmokers.

Guys like to attribute a femaleness to many objects, but in the case of pipes, most guys would not buy a pipe if it is being retailed as a "female pipe". Guys are often reluctant to smoke such a dainty pipe, and choose to smoke the opposite, such as a big chunky JT Cooke type pipe, while thinking that that would be the "manly" thing to smoke. But, this is not a proper way to avoid a sexual connotation, because smoking a large pipe could symbolically and psychologically be even worse for the pipesmoker who is trying to avoid a sexual connotation!

Because of the sexual shape of a pipe, it is virtually impossible to avoid the subconscious implications, no matter what kind of pipe you choose to smoke --- Because of this, the pipe smoker may develop a paranoid condition over this catch 22 situation. What is a pipe smoker to do?!??!?!

Is it just a coincidence that a standard sized billiard (6 inches long) is also the average size for an erect penis?

Perhaps, this is even the reason why most smokers choose not to smoke a pipe, and choose one of the alternatives --- they are subconsciously uncomfortable with the notion that a pipe looks like a penis.

When Freud supposedly said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar", I don't recall him ever talking about the symbolism of a pipe....probably because everybody into psychoanalysis thought that the sexual connotations of a pipe were so blatantly obvious, that Freud did not want to get himself into trouble.

Once again, I am not trying to say that this type of analysis is true. I am saying that the implications can result in a paranoid condition for the pipesmoker, and in order to combat this, pipesmokers need to maintain a sense of humour, in regards to this.

For Todd to say that there is nothing erotic about pipes, is a clear indication that he would just rather avoid the issue altogether.
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

Souljer wrote:
Blackboot wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Umm . . . can we stop pretending that pipes are erotic objects. Let's face it, "blackboot," you're never going to do anything that revolutionizes pipes or pipemaking. The existence of pipes covered in leather is an unfortunate reality and there is nothing to recommend them. If you find them "sexy," great. What you do with your pipes in the privacy of your own home and/or on YouTube is your business, but can we keep it out of here? That'd be great.

Todd
For the record: I do not make those kinds of pipe smoking youtube videos that I am sure you have all come across, while looking for tips on how to perfectly execute The Frank Method of packing...or whatever.

Regardless, I find it very interesting how the average pipe smoker will shy away from the sexual connotations that occasionally rise up (no pun intended), when folks are in the mood for a little Freudian analysis.

Personally, I think Psychoanalysis is mostly garbage, due to the fact that there are too many variables that the hustler psychoanalyist must intentionally leave out, in order to come to a "conclusion".

However, It is either that many pipesmokers worry that Psychoanalysis is true, or that others will unfairly judge the pipesmoker who smokes an object that just so happens to resemble a certain part of the male anatomy.

In order to combat these Freudian ways, pipesmoking ambassadors try to emphasise the "manliness" of the hobby, thinking that that should do the trick. However, this choice further meshes Freudian notions with the hobby, because homosexuals glorify "manliness", probably even more so than straight guys do!

OK....so....a lot of pipesmokers do not feel that "sexy", and would rather not look at these smoking devices as objects capable of being designed to manifest a sexual aura. But, regardless of how confidant you are with your sexuality, a pipesmoker is wise to develop a sense of humour, given that these sexual connotations will never go away, in regards to this hobby.

Everyone would be wise and intelligent to develop a wise and intelligent sense of humor in order to deal with life in a rational and healthy way.
Yup. Without a sense of humour, life in general can easily become too much to deal with.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Blackboot, you are full of shit. :lol:

And I have a sense of humor. Note the smiley after I said you were full of shit.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Souljer wrote: Everyone would be wise and intelligent to develop a wise and intelligent sense of humor in order to deal with life in a rational and healthy way.
Does this mean we can talk about olive oil wrestling again?

:D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

RadDavis wrote:Blackboot, you are full of shit. :lol:

And I have a sense of humor. Note the smiley after I said you were full of shit.

Rad
Rad,

Just so you know, I think that the subversive contents of this thread is mostly your fault, and that the blame should be placed on you. Had you not posted links to those ebay french pipes, then I highly doubt that my thoughts would have moved in such a unholy direction.
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:
Souljer wrote: Everyone would be wise and intelligent to develop a wise and intelligent sense of humor in order to deal with life in a rational and healthy way.
Does this mean we can talk about olive oil wrestling again?

Yep, as long as no one mentions extra virgin olive oil. :twisted:
Buggrit, I just mentioned it!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Kettletrigger

Post by Kettletrigger »

Wow, this forum just got a whole lot more interesting! And I thought it was just a bunch of cranky bastards telling people how not to make pipes. ;)
"The free, exploring mind of the individual human
is the most valuable thing in the world."
-John Steinbeck
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Blackboot, I don't know if you're full of shit, but leather covered pipes are shit briar covered with leather. So, I guess the leather is full of shit.

Rad, you're very funny!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frank wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote: Does this mean we can talk about olive oil wrestling again?

Yep, as long as no one mentions extra virgin olive oil. :twisted:
Buggrit, I just mentioned it!
Oh, baby! *covers self in oil, drink half a gallon of red wine, gyrates.... MENACINGLY!
Kettletrigger wrote:Wow, this forum just got a whole lot more interesting! And I thought it was just a bunch of cranky bastards telling people how not to make pipes. ;)
Seriously, you don't know the half of it. Wait until you meet my wife. And get her in the same room with Eddie Fliess - your world will end as you know it. :)

(sorry Eddie - we love you and Jeff!)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
alan

Post by alan »

:lol:
Y'all are cracking me up. Had a friend over last night for Othello, darts, brandy and pipes, and the subject of referring to pipes as male/female objects came up. Funny seeing it here today.

You want to see some sexy pipes, check this guy's stuff out: http://www.WAPSculpture.etsy.com
Supposedly it can be smoked, though he refers to it as sculpture.

It is a little creepy how he names them. I'd guess they are named after the models.
Kettletrigger

Post by Kettletrigger »

alan wrote::lol:
You want to see some sexy pipes, check this guy's stuff out: http://www.WAPSculpture.etsy.com
Supposedly it can be smoked, though he refers to it as sculpture.

It is a little creepy how he names them. I'd guess they are named after the models.
The one that creeps me out is the gun...not something that I'd like anywhere near my mouth. Can't say the same about the other designs though. ;)
"The free, exploring mind of the individual human
is the most valuable thing in the world."
-John Steinbeck
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Blackboot,

I reread my post and I would agree that I misspoke (or mistyped in this case). Certainly pipes can be erotic objects, just as any designed and created thing can be erotic. I don't shy away from eroticism in my own work and have created a number of pieces over the years that were, either intentionally or subconsciously erotic. The distinction I would like to draw, however, is between eroticism and fetishism. For whatever reason, certain people have some sort of sexual pipe fetish. I find it as viscerally repulsive as other such fetishes--like Rad's deal with farm animals.

I guess my other objection has to do with the classification of pipes as "sexy." This is such a throw away word and I hate to hear chefs use it about their food, for instance. It's roughly the equivalent of "cool" or "neat." It has absolutely no linguistic force and very little value when applied outside of it's historically and culturally determined context. In brief, it's a lazy way of talking about something.

To be frank, I found your original posts creepy and was reacting to them as such. The message that came across to me was that you're somehow sexually aroused by leather, sexually aroused by pipes, and the two together are almost more than you can handle. Again, it's not for me, but you do whatever you like. Similarly, don't be surprised when you illicit a reaction from someone. This has absolutely nothing to do with having a "sense of humor." This board is full of humor, as I think this thread shows.

As far as your psychoanalytics go, I'm perfectly well versed in Freud as well as his detractors--Niebuhr and Sartre for instance. I'm also familiar with the tactic of talking over people's heads so they shut up and you "win." I guess that's just an aside, though. Anyway, he thing is, when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. So to respond to your rhetorical question about whether it's a coincidence that the average straight billiard and the average erect penis are both 6" long . . . yes, I think it's probably a coincidence. Likewise, I think it's interesting that you consider all pipes overtly phallic. Perhaps this is more indicative of a personal fascination with things phallic than of any overt similarities between a billiard and a penis. If I were going to put on my freudian hat, this is how I would size things up (if you'll pardon the pun).

Not sure where I rate on the scale of either trying to be "hyper masculine" or embracing the overt connotations of smoking a penis . . . err, a pipe, I mean, but I will say this:

1. I smoke Dunhill Group 1's almost exclusively.
2. I sew at least as well as my wife.
3. I do most of the cooking.
4. I have had a huge crush on Rad for the longest time.
5. I consider this one of the most successful pieces I've ever created, and yes, it's probably overtly erotic.

Interesting discussion.

TJ
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Todd,

That pipe is disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Love,

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

BTW, Todd, I think maybe the pipe fetish may have had its origins here:

Tootles,

Rad
Walle

Post by Walle »

What a fascinating thread!

The connections between pipes and sex(uality) are obvious, no doubt about that. Apart from the size-discusson: Don´t collectors carry on an oriental harem? Isn´t braeking in a new pipe like an act of deflowration?

A couple of years ago I started a thread like this in a German forum. I almost got killed. It´s good to post in a country of free speech ... :D

Cheerio!
Roger

@Rad: I knew that you felt being in charge for the anal aspects of the toppic, piglet
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

ToddJohnson wrote:Blackboot,

TJ
You too?
FredS

Post by FredS »

ToddJohnson wrote:4. I have had a huge crush on Rad for the longest time.
I have a crush on Rads huge pipe.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Walle wrote:
@Rad: I knew that you felt being in charge for the anal aspects of the toppic, piglet
Roger, are you trying to blow smoke up my ass?

Rad
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

ToddJohnson wrote:Blackboot,

I reread my post and I would agree that I misspoke (or mistyped in this case). Certainly pipes can be erotic objects, just as any designed and created thing can be erotic. I don't shy away from eroticism in my own work and have created a number of pieces over the years that were, either intentionally or subconsciously erotic. The distinction I would like to draw, however, is between eroticism and fetishism. For whatever reason, certain people have some sort of sexual pipe fetish. I find it as viscerally repulsive as other such fetishes--like Rad's deal with farm animals.

I guess my other objection has to do with the classification of pipes as "sexy." This is such a throw away word and I hate to hear chefs use it about their food, for instance. It's roughly the equivalent of "cool" or "neat." It has absolutely no linguistic force and very little value when applied outside of it's historically and culturally determined context. In brief, it's a lazy way of talking about something.

To be frank, I found your original posts creepy and was reacting to them as such. The message that came across to me was that you're somehow sexually aroused by leather, sexually aroused by pipes, and the two together are almost more than you can handle. Again, it's not for me, but you do whatever you like. Similarly, don't be surprised when you illicit a reaction from someone. This has absolutely nothing to do with having a "sense of humor." This board is full of humor, as I think this thread shows.

As far as your psychoanalytics go, I'm perfectly well versed in Freud as well as his detractors--Niebuhr and Sartre for instance. I'm also familiar with the tactic of talking over people's heads so they shut up and you "win." I guess that's just an aside, though. Anyway, he thing is, when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. So to respond to your rhetorical question about whether it's a coincidence that the average straight billiard and the average erect penis are both 6" long . . . yes, I think it's probably a coincidence. Likewise, I think it's interesting that you consider all pipes overtly phallic. Perhaps this is more indicative of a personal fascination with things phallic than of any overt similarities between a billiard and a penis. If I were going to put on my freudian hat, this is how I would size things up (if you'll pardon the pun).

Not sure where I rate on the scale of either trying to be "hyper masculine" or embracing the overt connotations of smoking a penis . . . err, a pipe, I mean, but I will say this:

1. I smoke Dunhill Group 1's almost exclusively.
2. I sew at least as well as my wife.
3. I do most of the cooking.
5. I consider this one of the most successful pieces I've ever created, and yes, it's probably overtly erotic.

Interesting discussion.

TJ
Hey Todd,

It would be interesting to read some quality material about the history of the billiard pipe. I bet an entire book on the subject of the billiard alone, would make for an interesting read. I'm thinking that the 6 inch long billiard/6 inch long penis thing is NOT a coincidence. But it may not have been intentional either....but perhaps....something in between...

The standardization of the 6 inch billiard could have been a product of the subconscious mind. Whoever designed it to be 6 inches long may have accepted the finished product without realizing the similarities to an erect penis, yet at the same time, "feeling" or "sensing" as though the object was perfectly shaped and complete. The subconscious mind has a way of forcing itself on the thinker. I highly doubt that the designer of the 6 inch standard billiard would intentionally think, "Hey...I like this....it's just like an erect penis, and the guys are going to love smoking an object that looks like an erect penis!"

If the designer consciously thought about his object, and the similarities to the penis, he probably would have thought it was an inappropriate design, and that pipesmokers would be upset with him if those smokers eventually made the connection. Instead, the subconscious mind FORCED him to make it and promote it, without the designer understanding why he should do so.

Walle mentions some female sexual aspects to the pipe like "breaking in" a pipe, and "deflowering". I find this VERY interesting! Walle is right! His observation changes everything. Instead of a pipe being purely phallic, it is also feminine...at the same time! Hidden inside the "testicles" of the pipe is a big giant hole. That's the vagina! And so...the smoking pipe becomes what the Alchemists call a "hermaphrodite".

This is perfect, because the symbol of the "hermaphrodite" in Alchemy is regarded as the most powerful of the cryptic alchemical symbols. The "hermaphrodite" is the perfect unification between the male and female, both positive and negative principles perfectly balanced.

Pipe smokers always wonder why pipe smoking is better than cigars and cigarettes. Sometimes they try to explain why they think it's the best, but the explanations do not really satisfy the mind....until now!

The cigar is just a phallic symbol, and the cigarette, too. But, the pipe is both the phallic (shank and stem) AND the vaginal (tobacco chamber). These characteristics of the pipe contains the required attributes that makes up the deepest psychological symbol or "archetype", known as the perfect and unified "hermaphrodite"!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

What a crock of crap!
I smoke a pipe because I like nicotine and "Damn do I look cool"!
All this malarkey about dicks being equated with cigarettes, cigars and pipes is disgusting, even more so than Rad with his farm animals.
How in the hell did the subject of hermaphrodites play itself into this discussion? I remember when my son was about 9 and one of his friends brought over a tape titled "Chicks with Big Dicks". Yuck! It was hermaphrodites and there was NOTHING balanced about it, whatsoever! Ye gads! I want to vomit! Blackboot, you're somewhat vile and make me want to spew. Whoops! Let me be specific, so you don't get the wrong connotation-------puke my guts out! Perhaps Hermaphroditos, the son of Aphrodite, would be to your liking. Only thing is, he was an anti smoking advocate.
Now, here's a question. How about a tall bong? Is the user just wanting to get high, or does he really want a donkey dong or an elephant wanker up his thingamajig?