PME Algerian to Tuscan

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

PME Algerian to Tuscan

Post by kbadkar »

Does anyone know why PME isn't getting Alergian briar anymore?

Who is going to distribute Algerian (Yasid's) blocks, if at all?

Does anyone know anything about the Tuscan briar PME is going to stock?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yazid broke off his exclusive relationship with PME. My guess is, PME was sitting on a huge amount of briar, and didn't need to buy any more. And since Yazid went exclusive with PME, he got one big order, then nothing. As we can all attest, it's better to have a steady trickle of income, than a huge deluge followed by absolutely nothing.

This is just my guess though.

Yazid is now selling direct. Check him out at:
http://www.yazidbriar.com/

Shameless plug time....
If you want Yazid's briar, and don't want to deal with importing, let me know. I am not planning a trip to Algeria, but I do order from him on a regular basis. I won't be offering his briar at my cost, but I can probably give you guys a decent price - depending on the size of the order.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You'll give me a good price or I'll tear your goddam arms off, how's that, Kurt?

:lol:

I think a lot of people would like it if someone acted as a stateside agent. I like that briar, and would continue to buy it.

I will try the new PME stuff and see what it's like too. But we know the Algerian stuff is pretty nice so it's hard to imagine never using it again...

I'm thinking Kurt could get rich and retire if he plays this right.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

There are two Tuscan sources. One is sensational and one is complete crap. I've just returned from a tour of the mill that supplies the latter. I don't follow what PME is doing, but I'll call Paul and chat with him about it. I don't know which mill he's using, but I'm going to discourage him from using one and encourage him to use the other. He may listen or he may tell me to go to hell. Actually knowing Paul, he wouldn't do that, but he may well ignore me :D . . . which is his right, and a technique often employed by my beautiful bride.

TJ
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:There are two Tuscan sources. One is sensational and one is complete crap. I've just returned from a tour of the mill that supplies the latter. I don't follow what PME is doing, but I'll call Paul and chat with him about it. I don't know which mill he's using, but I'm going to discourage him from using one and encourage him to use the other. He may listen or he may tell me to go to hell. Actually knowing Paul, he wouldn't do that, but he may well ignore me :D . . . which is his right, and a technique often employed by my beautiful bride.

TJ
I think Paul might be gonna use those guys that were at the Chicago show. I bought 11 blocks. I think Gracik bought like a year's supply. Very nice wood.

I talked to Paul in the tent before the show got underway and asked him who would be supplying his briar, now that his Algerian source was gone.

He said he would be talking to Mimmo during the show. I couldn't imagine him taking a markup on Mimmo's prices or Mimmo giving him a discount, since he would just have no need to do that.

Toward the end of the show, I saw him talking with the Tuscan group down at the end of my aisle. He may have worked out something with them.

Rad
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Paul talked to the group that was at Chicago. He has been trying (and trying) to reach them but hasn't been getting anything back from them. He suspects that his emails are going into a bit-bucket black-hole.

Todd, if you have good contact info for them, he would REALLY appreciate getting it!

Cheers
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

I bought 10 blocks from them at the Chicago Show also. Superb briar! I hope PME goes with them and has it at a reasonable price since I don't speak Italian. Funny thing happened when I bought mine. Teddy Knudsen was standing next to me and asked if I make pipes. I told him I did and he told me if I had some money in my pocket purse to make sure I bought as many blocks as possible as it was excellent briar. Then he just started up a conversation with them in Italian. One of the highlights of the show for me.

Kevin
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

KurtHuhn wrote:Yazid is now selling direct. Check him out at:
http://www.yazidbriar.com/
Yazid's prices are really reasonable. 10 jumbo blocks for 250 bucks shipped? Not too shabby at all.

I imagine importing the stuff is a huge headache though, huh? Are there crazy customs laws and import taxes to be paid on that sort of thing?

I'll be interested to see how the tuscan briar situation develops with PME. They are a good company; I would hate to see their wood turn out to be total crap all of a sudden. Hopefully they go with what sounds like the *good* supplier. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's not difficult to import, but there is a risk that your shipment could be delayed in customs - or even incinerated by the USDA's APHIS program due to a misunderstanding. To cover your bases you should get an import permit for whatever wood you want to import, and send a copy of the permit to your supplier to include with the shipment. This is no guarantee, but it's a bit of extra insurance.
Last edited by KurtHuhn on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I just got some briar from Michael Parks, and it was held up at the Canadian Customs (coming in from Italy) because someone forgot some piece of the sanitation papers (presumably they have to prove that the stuff has no seeds, no bugs, no whatever so it can come in the country). It turned out okay in the end, but I don't know if I would want to try to handle it alone if I didn't speak the language of the guys on the shipping end.
FredS

Post by FredS »

I got some of the same briar from M Parks. A smart thing he did was include a letter from the appropriate US agency explaining what the wood was, what it is for and the sections of the tariff laws pertain to it. Don’t know if US customs opened the package or not, but I’m sure the enclosure would answer any questions they might have had and avoided delays. As Kurt mentioned, it’s better to have the documentation and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

So where can I find the proper import papers? I did a google search but I could only find permit pertaining to plants and seeds. Is there a specific form for wood or does it fall under the plant category.

With the amount of pipe makers that play in my shop, we can easily hit the $250 min order. I'm just worried about getting the shipment taken at customs.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Thank you Sir!