Water based stains?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Water based stains?

Post by SimeonTurner »

Hi all-

I was at my local woodcraft the other day and I picked up some water based stain for a couple of side projects I have been fooling around with. As I was picking a color out, I started to wonder if it would be something I could use on my pipes. The guys at woodcraft couldn't give me a reason *not* to use it on a pipe, but they also tend to give me mediocre advice when it comes to questions about pipe-making (if i was building furniture, they would have a million answers...LOL).

I like Fiebings stuff, but wondered if there is a good reason why a water based stain would be a be a bad thing to play around with. Are there concerns with a water based stain that are similar to the concerns associated with oil based stains? Is it just more of a pain in the butt to use?

Any input would be most appreciated! Thanks!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

There's no reason not to use water based stains. I've experimented with them extensively, and generally they penetrate a little shallower than the leather dye, but other than that they're quite good. Also, if they're formulated right, they won't run when you topstain with an alcohol based stain (or vis-versa).
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

So the woodcraft guys were right about a pipe related issue! Had to happen sometime. LOL

Thanks Kurt. I may play around with some water based stains and see what happens. :)
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Be sure to let the stain really "stain" the wood and remove the residual. Other wise, moist hands will cause the stain to run. After you stain the pipe you might want to seal it with a small amout of shellac before you apply your wax.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com