Koa Wood Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMB

Koa Wood Pipe

Post by JMB »

I finally got the Koa Wood Pipe finished. The pic's are a little dark, I was in a hurry to get them posted. Learn one thing, you don't need to "stain" Koa. No matter what color you use it will come out the same. Well I didn't try red but a lot of others. Also Koa can become brittle with age. Don't think the pic shows the bowl well enough to see, but the inside of the chamber is real ruff.

Koa pic's at
http://jmb-pipes.tripod.com/
Nick

Post by Nick »

Neat grain on that pipe. How's it smoke?
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

thats kind of cool looking. I have a statue made from koa that I got when in Maui, maybe I should cut it up to make a pipe :lol: anyway good job but I would like to see some bigger pics or at least closer pictures of the pipe.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Nick ask:
"How's it smoke?"

Haven't smoked it yet, not sure if it's OK to smoke Koa. Still checking on that.

jthpipes ask:
" I would like to see some bigger pics or at least closer pictures of the pipe."

We are finally getting a little rain here in Central Texas. When I can I will get outside & get some better pic's.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Added two more pic's, they show it a little better. Still clouds over head here. Not good for pic taking.
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

JMB,

I would rethink about smoking it. I was told by another pipemaker from Hawaii that he wouldn't recommend smoking a pipe made from Koa because the resins from certain types of Koa is not very healthy.

Also, most of the poeple in Hawaii do not use Koa bowl to put food in. it's used more as a decorative piece, the reason why is because of what you have said about it leaving a funny taste to the food.

Jaden
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

Sorry fot the repeat comments about the Koa wood. I thought that the one posted on the Alternative Materials section was posted awhile back and I saw a more recent post about it in the Gallery section. I didn't realize that the post wasn't that far apart from each another.

LOL, so much for paying attention. 8O

Jaden
JMB

Post by JMB »

Not a problem. Saw one of your other post, are you in Hawaii, if so which Island.
JB
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

JMB,

I live on the island of Oahu, on the Waianae Coast in a town name Nanakuli.

Jaden
JMB

Post by JMB »

My congrats Jayden. You live in a wonderful state, with great people. The Hawaiian Islands is the only state I would trade Texas for. My wife's brother & his family live on the Big Island, has been over there for over 25 years now. We get over every chance we get.