Carving Intricate Patterns

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Paddington

Carving Intricate Patterns

Post by Paddington »

I have noticed that some pipes have very intricate carvings, for example, leaf patterns around the bowl or shank. I was wondering how these patterns are achieved, I’m guessing using some very fine files? I’m wondering if some form of chip carving may create a nice effect. Let me know what you think.
Frank

Post by Frank »

There are probably a number of tools to achieve the carving effects. The first that comes to mind is a Dremel or equivalent. Small wood carving palm gouges are probably also an option.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Paddington

Post by Paddington »

Cheers Frank,

I only purchased a Dremel a few weeks ago so I'm still getting used to its applications, Lol. I'm just trying to get a feel for the way things are done. The sooner I get my head together, the sooner I can take the plunge and start working on first pipe!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Yep, Dremels can be tougher to use than it looks at first. It's a matter of getting the speed and hand control with the right bit for the job. That little bugger seems to want to get away from you and just do its own thing.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Pooka wrote:Best bet for a Dremel is to get the variable RPM version and a Flex Shaft. You get better control of your operation with those add-ons.
If you get the flex-shaft you can also use it in your drill press or lathe. This will allow you to adjust the speed between 500-2000 RPM (or whatever the range of your machine is) instead of 20,000-1 Million RPM. :) This is helpful when you need to work in a very detailed fashion without the chance of making a "fatal slip."

Todd
Paddington

Post by Paddington »

Wow folks, thanks for all the input.

I have a Dremel 400 with a flex shaft, so I guess I'm good to go! I have been reading the threads that contain information on the best bits for carving and engraving -- really helpful stuff.

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to get a set with all the different bits in; however, up to now I haven't found anything. I'm going to keep looking though!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Paddington wrote:I'm trying to find out if it's possible to get a set with all the different bits in; however, up to now I haven't found anything. I'm going to keep looking though!
It's usually more cost effective to buy the individual bits as you need them. The sets often have many that you seldom use. It would be hellish expensive to get every single Dremel type bit. However have a dekko at eBay UK: Dremel Sets (UK) . There's a better selection on eBay USA: Dremel Sets (USA)
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ToddJohnson wrote:
Pooka wrote:Best bet for a Dremel is to get the variable RPM version and a Flex Shaft. You get better control of your operation with those add-ons.
If you get the flex-shaft you can also use it in your drill press or lathe. This will allow you to adjust the speed between 500-2000 RPM (or whatever the range of your machine is) instead of 20,000-1 Million RPM. :) This is helpful when you need to work in a very detailed fashion without the chance of making a "fatal slip."

Todd
Off the top of my head I cannot think of how this can be done with supplied parts. Did you have to buy and adapter?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Pooka wrote:Don't know why putting the deal on a drill press would do much, other than having to create a custom screw collet and other junk just to get it to fit.
At very low speeds like 500 rpm no-load, you also have greatly reduced torque, and a Dremel doesn't have much torque to begin with. When you put load on it, the speed tends to drop, so you have to compensate by cranking up the speed, etc. A lathe or drill press provides better speed control without the loss of torque. Nothing wrong with the above suggestion, as far as I can tell.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Pooka wrote:I don't have a 20,000,000 RPM problem. Don't know why putting the deal on a drill press would do much, other than having to create a custom screw collet and other junk just to get it to fit.

My dremel has a very low range of speeds and has served well for years. I think it's 0 to 25k RPM. Most used tool in my shop.
Easy, killer. I'm not dissing the Dremel, I just think it has some limitations which can be overcome by using the flex shaft on the lathe or drill press. If you don't need it, just don't make the "custom screw collet and other junk." If you do, it requires nothing but a piece of threaded rod that is identical to the pattern coming off the Dremel body. Chuck that in your drill press or headstock, and you're good to go. As for why you would want to do this, Frank pretty much nailed it.

Todd