thoughts on this lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kola

thoughts on this lathe

Post by kola »

I am shopping around for a good lathe to carve pipes. Any thoughts about this lathe would be appreciated.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/tls/1047795008.html
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Having seen a lot of aspiring carvers come and go - and in the meantime buy thousands of dollars worth of tools that end up being sold for hundreds after being used a handful of times - I strongly suggest giving pipe making a try WITHOUT a huge tool investment right off the bat.

A pipe can be made using very simple tools, and most folks here got started with nothing more complicated than a cheap drill press. Give it a shot, if you still like doing it after a number of pipes, by all means, go for a complex mill/drill/lathe if it's going to fit into your work process.

And not knowing diddly about your skill level, I'm very uncomfortable telling whether I think you should take the leap and buy this tool or not. What I will say is that, depending on your workflow and skill level, this tool may prove useful. Past that, I have no experience with that particular brand, model, or type of tooling.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

KurtHuhn wrote:Having seen a lot of aspiring carvers come and go - and in the meantime buy thousands of dollars worth of tools that end up being sold for hundreds after being used a handful of times - I strongly suggest giving pipe making a try WITHOUT a huge tool investment right off the bat.

A pipe can be made using very simple tools, and most folks here got started with nothing more complicated than a cheap drill press. Give it a shot, if you still like doing it after a number of pipes, by all means, go for a complex mill/drill/lathe if it's going to fit into your work process.

And not knowing diddly about your skill level, I'm very uncomfortable telling whether I think you should take the leap and buy this tool or not. What I will say is that, depending on your workflow and skill level, this tool may prove useful. Past that, I have no experience with that particular brand, model, or type of tooling.
And in conjunction with all that, that particular lathe/mill combo is unsuited for most of the operations you'll need to perform as a pipemaker.

Todd
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

It might be ok for stems, but it's too small for turning briar. You need at least a 9 inch swing. That one's 7 1/4.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Good catch, Rad. I didn't notice that one.

Didn't Random use one of these things?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi,

I agree with the pro's: it's too small. Look for a larger one, and leave away that drill press thingie - if you need one, buy one separately. Those all-in-one machines can do everything, but nothing right ...

regards, Jens
kola

Post by kola »

Thanks guys!

I recently carved my first pipe with a coping saw and used a horse hoof file to rough it in. I then sanded it down to shape with 60 grit, by hand. I decided to change stems and redrilled for the new stem and then cracked the damn shank. But all in all I was quite happy with the pipe...except the shank is badly shaped. I left it for now as I might band it. Its only been sanded to 400 and I moistioned the briar for the two pics:

heres right after I cracked the sob:

and theres the horsehoof file I used. One side was pretty course and took off briar quickly and the other side was bit gentler. The rest of the shape was sanded down with 60 grit. I should have left it alone and went with that first stem.
kola

Post by kola »

not too shabby huh? 8)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Given your tools, yeah. Looks like a Peterson 303 with a beer belly. :)

I have a jet mini lathe, and it's excellent for pipey activities, and it takes very standard component pieces (8tpi 1" threads, #2 Morse taper) It is a bit small between centers for a buffing setup (Beall's setup is 18" long) and too small to take large buffing wheels (I use the drill press for that). But for carving, it's nice.

Delta makes a very similar model, and I think so does grizzly.

If your budget is limited, and you want to get a do-it-all (but not all that well) machine, you might get by with that multi, but my guess is that it will frustrate you in terms of capacity before long. Certainly I don't keep my drill press and my lathe intermingled while I'm turning!

That thing looks built well though - at 400 pounds there's a lotta metal!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I have a Smithy lathe/mill and I have only used the mill 4 or 5 times in the 2 years I have owned it.

http://www.smithy.com/product_image.php?f=MIDAS-1220 LR.jpg&w=500&h=531

I wish I had bought a different lathe in the beginning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JET-BD-920W-9-x ... .m20.l1116

Ryan
Frank

Post by Frank »

Ryan, I have the 1220XL. Admittedly it's a nuisance having to remove the lathe chuck and switch out the tool holder for the vise when going from lathe to mill/drill, but I regularly use the mill/drill feature for both milling and drilling. This little gadget Safe-T-Planer used in the mill/drill is great for squaring up briar blocks.

Just an added note to those who think the mill/drill gets in the way when using the lathe, the mill/drill head swings through 360 deg, so I just rotate it 90 deg out of the way.

I would certainly love to have a seperate lathe and mill, British or American made, but sometimes we have to get what we can afford.

Kola, I agree with the other guys. Don't waste your money on that small model.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I did rotate it 180, and the fact that shape and then drill has helped. There is no need for me to square blocks anymore.

I really don't like this lathe.

I should have bought the Jet.

Ryan