Carving vs Sanding

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Tano

Carving vs Sanding

Post by Tano »

I find that I do a lot of disc sanding, most times from start to finish, concequently the results are very close in appearance.
I would like to do more carving but my tools limit me.
Those of you that carve create some amazing shapes. What tools do you use to achieve this? What are the steps from start to final sanding ready for buffing?
I know that one can use anything that will remove stock, but what I'm looking for are those tools that will work efficiently and save time.
Any suggestions?
All the best,
Tano
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hey Tano,

When you say "carve," what are you referencing exactly? I use sanding disks from start to finish. If you look at the pipe I posted in the gallery--I think the thread is called "A Helpful Tip"--that piece has come straight off the wheel with no hand sanding, files, etc. I shape almost exclusively with disk sanders and use a long 4 cm belt sander for certain smoothing operations.

Do you have an example of the kind of piece you're thinking of?

Todd
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hey Todd,
Here are some examples:

All the best,
Tano
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hey Tano,

A lot of that is done with a Proxxon rotary tool--much like a Foredom--and various burs. This is definitely true of the Kent and the Tokutomi. Alex Florov probably uses a combination of rotary and hand tools. I do sculptural pieces like those with a combination of shaping wheel, rotary tools, and hand tools--including chisels, knives, and gouges.

Todd
Tano

Post by Tano »

Thanks Todd.
All the best,
Tano
Frank

Post by Frank »

I know I'll get flak for saying this, but I wouldn't have the temerity to bring an open flame near one of those beauties - even if I could afford one.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Frank wrote:I know I'll get flak for saying this, but I wouldn't have the temerity to bring an open flame near one of those beauties - even if I could afford one.
People definitely do. I have a collector who sent back what was a mid 4-figure pipe so that I could steam a dent out of it for him. I think I made it less than a year ago, and it's probably got 1/4" of cake! I kindly reamed it for him too. :)

Todd
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

The pipes from Alex are done with mostly hand chisels. Like everyone he rough shapes with a combination of disc, belt sanders, and rotary tools but the final detail and intricate carving is done by hand. I will say that he is a master at sharpening, which is the key. With out razor sharp tools hand carving briar is a *itch. If you ever meet Alex look at his arm there is always a bare spot where he tests his chisels to see if he can shave with them. The other key is taking small bites. BTW thepipesyou postedof his ,I got to see in work.