Noobie here just saying hi

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kola

Noobie here just saying hi

Post by kola »

Hi all, Thanks to the guys who made this forum, all the great stuff here and all the contributors. I have read alot of the material and watched all the various videos. Thanks!

I just ordered a pre-bored block from Mark Tinsky and will be attempting to carve my first pipe. After reading many of the posts here I think I made the right choice by getting a prebored brair chunk although after 2 or 3 I really want to tackle doing my own drilling.

I am an ex-mechanic, a carpenter/remodeler and semi retired chiropractor so I would like to think I am pretty good with my hands and I do have a artistic, creative eye. Now if I can only carve a pipe that somewhat looks like a pipe that would be nice.

I read about all the different tools and I guess I will have to take baby steps and go through all the processes and learning curves that everyone faces when taking on this endeavor. I have no "pipe dreams"(pun) but I would like to make some nice "different" pipes for myself and maybe gift a few to friends. I love working with wood and I think this will be a very challenging and rewarding task.

There has to be a very special satisfying reward when creating a great pipe. From the square block of nothing to the finsihed product is truely a work of art . I also believe the pipecrafter leaves a little bit of himself and his spirit in his creation.

Thanks again, Kurt and others!

Kola
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Hi Kola

You'll find a wealth of information here that will be quite useful.
Welcome!

-Kim