Ref.. adding a white dot, etc to a stem...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Patrick

Ref.. adding a white dot, etc to a stem...

Post by Patrick »

Where can I obtain white round inlay to place on a stem. It should be about maybe 1/16" dia. or so and long. I would drill a small indentation in the stem then add a drop of super glue and place the inlay rod in the cavity and allow to dry. When dry I would cut off excess rod and then sand and polish area. 1. Where can I obtain this material and 2. any other ways to install inlay on a stem? Thanks, Patrick
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Grizzly.com has white inlays for frets on guitars. I believe they are 1/16" diameter.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thank you! I will try them.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

The way Dunhill did(does?) the white dot is drill the stem through to the airhole, epoxy/glue in a length of white rod, re-drill airway, then cut, sand, and polish the dot and stem.

Tim West has the white rod, at his jhlowe pipe supply website:

http://www.jhlowe.com/rods.htm
Frank

Post by Frank »

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my noggin I seem to recall that some knifemaking suppliers carry a similar thing in a couple of small diameters for knife handle decoration. I can't seem to find it, but perhaps Kurt or one of the other pipemaker/knifemaker guys will know.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
FredS

Post by FredS »

I'd say the rods from jhlowe are a good way to go.

I think Frank is talking about Mosaic Pins. The smallest I've ever seen are 1/8" diameter.

I use plastic toothpicks. They require a bit more work than the rods from jhlowe becasue they have to be turned or filed to size.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thank you! Patrick
Frank

Post by Frank »

FredS wrote:I think Frank is talking about Mosaic Pins. The smallest I've ever seen are 1/8" diameter.
I'm familiar with mosaic pins, they would actually make a cool stem inset. I guess I've forgotten (fried brain cells?) where I saw the small diameter acrylic/plastic rods.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frank wrote:Somewhere in the dark recesses of my noggin I seem to recall that some knifemaking suppliers carry a similar thing in a couple of small diameters for knife handle decoration. I can't seem to find it, but perhaps Kurt or one of the other pipemaker/knifemaker guys will know.
I know I've seen them, but damned if I can recall where. I just hunted through all my bookmarks, and can't find that stuff anywhere.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com