Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

At first I thought I was not going to post this one, was too ashamed. But then I thought to myself that actually this is exactly why I joined this forum: for constructive criticism. So here goes!
The pipe is guava, my first bulldog and the grey bits you see on the stummel staining gone wrong.
My hat off to you guys who make this shape seem so easy!
PS - Father Christmas must have thought I was a bad boy last year because I still don't have a lathe!
FredS

Post by FredS »

Charl - I share your trepidation about posting pictures of my less than perfect work, but I think there are a number of reasons why we’re all better served if we do.

1. For those of us who take pride in our work, it “forces” us to get better because we don’t want to keep showing crap to our fellow carvers.

2. Honest critique by those who are more skilled than us helps us to improve. If you want to sharpen a knife, you rub it against something hard, not something soft. My wife thinks any piece of crap I make is perfectly lovely. Although it makes me feel good to hear her kind words, it’s not going to make me better pipe maker. If you want to sharpen your skills, you seek advice from someone more skilled than you.

3. It’s a good measure of progress to look back at the first pipe I posted a few months ago and see how much I’ve improved.

4. It’s encouraging to see work from guys who aren’t “pros”. If Senatorov or Yashytylov were the only ones who ever posted pictures I’d get pretty damned discouraged real fast.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

My opinion is that it isn't as bad as you think. I really like it to tell the truth. The shape could have a bit more definition and a bit less rounding but other than that I think it's a good looking pipe. I actually like the stain. It gives it a vintage feel. I like your logo too although I would stick with putting it on the shank only. Are you hand etching your logo or stamping? The pipe has a cool olde world hand crafted feel to it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Charl, your work is done very well! The wood is not worth commenting...but this is pipemakersforum.com, not woodchoosingwizard.com ;)
I think making a bulldog requires much effort. Congrats!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks for all the kind words, now you can let go with all the criticism!
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I think its a great lookin pipe. I like the stain job. I don't like the shank bowl transition and the stamp overlapping the stem. Also, there is some light showing through the shank-stem junction. Sorry for the harsh words, but you asked for it. Nice work.
sivrat

nice pipe

Post by sivrat »

Looking good Charl.
I like it. I agree with dwteipen, the pipe has a wonderfull old feel about it.
As a proud owner of an orginal G Goussard, #0829, I can vouch that the pipe will be a good smoker, nice open draw, confortable bit, easy on the eyes.

I do however second the motion about having the stamp only on the stummel.

Keep up the great work.
Frank

Re: nice pipe

Post by Frank »

[quote="sivrat"][/quote]
Another "boertjie" heard from! :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Charl

Post by Charl »

Sorry for the harsh words, but you asked for it.
Exactly what I want, thanks!

And thanks for the kind words, Travis.

This logo-thing has got my wife up in arms :lol: It was her idea to do it halfway over the stem and now nobody likes it! :ROFL: