For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
buster

Post by buster »

I think everyone needs to post a pic of there first pipe. So far I have tried to make 3 and they all have ended up in the garbage. I really enjoyed the process but maybe I just don't have the natural talent or skill.
I think I would be better at drilling after shaping instead of working around predrilled holes. Does that sound silly ?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I would practice with drilling before shaping first and get good at that. It would be really disappointing, I think, to spend a lot of time shaping first and then wreck it with a bad drilling. At least with drilling first (which is a lot easier to do well), you can toss a badly drilled block without too many tears over all the work lost. Of course, you can practice "freehand" drilling on scrap wood. Keep in mind that unless you have the right (and sharp!) tools and technique, it gets pretty dangerous for the digits.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I would not suggesting using a drill press and spade bit for freehand drilling like this fellow, unless you have serious vise hands. In fact, I would not suggest using a spade bit for freehand drilling, period.

viewtopic.php?t=2281

Read all posts on freehand drilling in this forum before attempting and heed all warnings.
Frank

Post by Frank »

You haven't actually mentioned where your problem(s) lie. If it's symmetry around the predrilled holes, that's a problem for me too. For most folks, achieving symmetry comes with practice. Shaping first and drilling later won't necessarily solve that problem
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
buster

Post by buster »

The times that I've tried I would draw the desired shape on the block, drill the holes, and then try to shape the pipe. Then while trying to achieve symetry the pipe keep getting smaller and smaller and smaller until I've sanded into the airways. I end up with a hunk of wood the size of a $#@!!! gumball.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Yep, you have a similar problem to me. Some folks just have the natural talent to eyeball it as they go (see Tyler's video). Others, like you and I, really have to work at it. The old adage, "Practice makes perfect", is all that remains. My suggestion is to practice on cheap scrap wood, even 2-by-4 rather than expensive briar, to get the hand-eye coordination needed to attain symmetry. The experienced "old hands" can probably advise you better.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett