my 4th

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bear

my 4th

Post by Bear »

This is my forth pipe. I tried making my own stem but had some trouble so I had to use a premold stem. I am hoping this will be the last time I use a stem that is not my own. I'm trying to improve with every pipe I make. While this pipe is nothing remarkable I am happy with it because the process of making this pipe went much more smoothly. My past pipes have always been a struggle from start to finish. With this one I feel like I'm getting a handle on the process. I really value everyones opinion so I'm hoping you'll share.

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Critique:
Cut the shank/bowl transition to the bone. There are some pipe shapes where a flared transition works well, like zulus and horns, but a billiard variant isn't typically one of them. The top picture shows how the line of the top of the shank sort of swoops into the vertical line of the bowl. Then the third photo down show the sides, which is a much more pronounced swooping, effectively making the shank and bowl one piece. You really want a much sharper transition here. It doesn't need to be a razor's edge transition, I prefer to use a softer transition myself, but it should be a transition with purpose.

Praise:
The staining is well done. You've also done well on the shank/stem transition. There doesn't seem to be a lot of rounded edges there, if any. Overall the shape is well executed. It looks like a nice comfortable pot for a clencher.

Other:
Don't sweat the premold stems. There's nothing wrong with using premolds as you're learning how to make pipes. As Todd posted a few days ago, concentrate on making a beautiful pipe. You *can* make a stunning pipe with a premold stem, despite what some folks will say. This pipe, for instance, has a premold stem:
http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipeimages/phoenix1.jpg
If I had to do it again, I'd make the round portion shorter, but this one was mine and wasn't for sale, so I didn't spend a ton of time on it. Is it stunning? That's not really for me to decide, since I'm biased. But I will say that it's gotten a hell of a lot of ooohs and aaahs.

Using premolds can teach you things as well. Such as how to shape a round shank, selecting a stem in proportion with the rest of the pipe, creating a proper sized button, getting a slim and comfortable stem, etc. Modifying premolds will show you to properly construct a stem. If you can take a premold, and make it open and comfortable, then you'll be that much further along when you try to take a length of raw ebonite and turn it onto a saddle bit. It's harder than it seems at first - which you've apparently found out.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Kurt's critique on all points. The only other thing I would point out is to not be afraid to fine tune a premolded stem. They're not refined and usually need airway work and some thinning of the button and bit end at the very least. A very fine 4th though I must say. Nice work and nice progress.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

wdteipen wrote:I agree with Kurt's critique on all points. The only other thing I would point out is to not be afraid to fine tune a premolded stem. They're not refined and usually need airway work and some thinning of the button and bit end at the very least. A very fine 4th though I must say. Nice work and nice progress.
Exactly!!!
Bear

Post by Bear »

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with the critism about the shank/bowl transition. I'm always afraid that I will take too much material off the shank/bowl transition but the end results is that I don't do enough. Something I need to work on.
Timberwolf

Nice work Bear

Post by Timberwolf »

Being a fledgling pipe crafter myself, it is invaluable to see what other guys are doing and what input it given. The pipe looks very comfortable and I love the finish.
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Duplicate post removed
Last edited by Timberwolf on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Nice looking little pipe. The bit's a tad thick, and the saddle could be shortened up some, but you've got very nice symmetry and a nicely contrasted finish.

Good work.

Todd