Shopsmith

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
jdfick

Shopsmith

Post by jdfick »

Has anyone ever used a Shopsmith for making pipes? A friend has just given me a Mark V. I have only ever carved kit pipes but would like to try the whole process. Anyone have any experience with one of these multi-tools?

Joel
Frank

Post by Frank »

I don't have experience with a Shopsmith, but considering that many folks get by making pipes with only a Drill Press as their main powertool, the Shopsmith should make it a lot easier. If you haven't had much experience using it, I'd suggest practicing with scrap wood to get the "feel" of the rig.
Nice gift, considering the basic Mark V starts at $2999.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's a hell of a gift! Can I have some of your friends? :)

Yes, that lathe will prove more than sufficient for turning pipes. A lot of folks use lathes less than half that size...
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
FredS

Post by FredS »

It just so happens that as I was surfing pipe makers sights last night (that seems to occupy a lot of non-shop time lately) and I found Brian Ruthenbergs site with some pictures of him using a ShopSmith. I don't know what processes he uses it for (the pictures show some drilling operations), but he certainly makes some fine pipes with it.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
jdfick

Post by jdfick »

Thanks for the replies and Fred for the link. Yes it's a very nice gift, I'm quite thankful. I've wanted for a very long time to try turning out some pipes but could never justify the plunge. This helps justify whatever money it will take to go the rest of the way. The three that I have carved from kits have turned out okay. My first is actually posted at pimo. http://www.pimopipecraft.com/images/fick1.jpg

I already have a couple motors for buffing that I have picked up along the way at garage sales, and a very nice Foredom drill I picked up for 20 bucks at an estate sale. And last year I built a 2inch knife grinder for myself with the help of a friend which should come in handy for shaping. The only major piece I think I really need is a band saw.

In terms of actual tools for using the lathe what will I need? I have never used a wood lathe before. I watched Kurt's video. What is holding the wood on the lathe? What kind of tools do I actually need for carving? Anything else I must have with the lathe?

Thanks, Joel
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jdfick wrote: In terms of actual tools for using the lathe what will I need? I have never used a wood lathe before. I watched Kurt's video. What is holding the wood on the lathe? What kind of tools do I actually need for carving? Anything else I must have with the lathe?
You will want:
- a scroll (self centering) chuck
- tower jaws (or custom jaws as budget permits)
- good turning chisels (roughing gouge, spindle gouge, fingernail gouge, skew, parting tool, and any others that look fun)
- custom ground tobacco chamber bits
- jacobs chuck for the tailstock
- Time and patience to learn

I use a Oneway chuck with Oneway Tower Jaws to hold my briar blocks. Some guys use other combinations (like purpose built jaws on 2-jaw chucks), and what you use depends on your preference. There is no right or wrong way of doing it, as long as your briar block can be held securely and you can comfortably turn and drill your briar.

Before you start turning briar, however, take some practice laps with cherry, maple, mahogany, or some other dense hardwood. Learn to turn those, then try your hand at briar. Jumping right into one of the hardest and densest woods around is liable to irritate you to no end. Briar is not easy to turn, and is very unforgiving of screwups.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote: - custom ground tobacco chamber bits.
If you're strapped for cash, Ball End Mills will do the job. I get excellent results with them. Enco has a large quality/price range: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0000000704
KurtHuhn wrote:Briar is not easy to turn, and is very unforgiving of screwups.
...and pound for pound one of the more expensive hardwoods.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Frank wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote: - custom ground tobacco chamber bits.
If you're strapped for cash, Ball End Mills will do the job. I get excellent results with them. Enco has a large quality/price range: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0000000704
KurtHuhn wrote:Briar is not easy to turn, and is very unforgiving of screwups.
...and pound for pound one of the more expensive hardwoods.
You could also try some nice economical chunks of pink ivory. :D
JHowell

Re: Shopsmith

Post by JHowell »

jdfick wrote:Has anyone ever used a Shopsmith for making pipes? A friend has just given me a Mark V. I have only ever carved kit pipes but would like to try the whole process. Anyone have any experience with one of these multi-tools?

Joel
Before you splash on chucks and whatnot, be certain that the tail stock centers on the spindle. Some Shopsmiths don't, and there is (on the ones I've seen) no way to adjust the tail stock to center it.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I have 3 shopsmiths and they are the only machine I use besides a dremel and a 1" strip sander. You can usually find shopsmiths for a couple hundred bucks. Someday I want a real lathe, but thats down the road for me. The shopsmith is very light compared to a lathe, so the few turning projects I have tried have been a little shaky.

I keep one shopsmith setup for buffing, one for a 12" sanding disc and the other is setup for drilling. I have the platform turned sideways with a 2 axis vise mounted on it making it a horizontal drilling press. It makes it easy to pop a block in the vise and be able to adjust it up, down, left or right. In a matter of seconds, everything is lined up just fine. I drill all my holes in the blocks first before shaping the pipe.

The speed change option is essential on the shopsmith. The older model I have is my sander setup and the speed is only adjustable in the belts, manually. The newer ones have the speed dial which is very nice. I have one that I can slide the motor over and hook the bandsaw up in about 10 seconds.

All in all, I love shopsmiths and even if I do get a lathe, I will still keep the shopsmiths.
jdfick

Post by jdfick »

Thanks for the info. I'm eager to set it all up and give it a whirl.