Any interest in the SEM swirls?

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Skip

Any interest in SEM Swirls?

Post by Skip »

Kurt,
Did you get my pm where I ordered the rods?

Thanks,
Skip Elliott
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Skip, just checking if you get my email.

For the rest of you guys, if you want swirls - either partial or whatever, let me know. SEM produced every color, including the brown/black and tan/black this week, and they're vulcanizing now as I type this. They'll be ready for shipping on Monday/Tuesday. I've got some free time here (finally!!) and I'd like to get this wrapped up ASAP. Please send me an email, it's easier for me to keep track of than forum posts.

If you're going in halfsies or whatever with some folks, just one of you should place an order - I don't want to be adding up and trying make whole rods out of partial rod orders. I will, however, cut the rods and ship to multiple people. Let me know if this is the case, as I'll need to make sure I've covered all the shipping charges.

BTW, I'm in for whole rods myself, though I could be persuaded to allow retail sales of them after the fact. In other words, if you buy my stock, you don't get the group buy price. Pipe makers have to eat too, ya know.

I'll email everyone tonight and tomorrow who already placed an order to confirm the amount they want.

And in a fit of thread convergence, I am shipping out all the black rods from the previous group buy on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Skip

Any interest in SEM Swirls?

Post by Skip »

I goy it.
Thanks,
Skip
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Purchasing partner for partial rods?

Post by kbadkar »

Hope it's not too late. Just emailed my swirly request, Kurt.

Anybody interested in partial rods? I would be interested in half rods (1.5 ft) or less of swirly colors in blue, yellow, green, or tan AND solid "uni" colors of red, blue, or green.

I am already ordering complete rods of red and brown swirls, but I might be willing to divide. Please email or PM me if you are interested, so I can hurry up and amend my order, if it isn't too late already.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Get in on this now, get in on this quick!

SEM has turned out some fantastic looking swirls on this production run. Not that no direction random swirl thing, this stuff looks like the real cumberland deal and has a wonderful wood grain effect when shaped. AND they have colors now that you've never seen in cumberland before. I have a feeling they are going to run out of this stuff quick, since SEM just sent out emails with the pics. Get in on this! Contact Kurt and update your orders, ASAP!

I'm not sure what to make of these solid sheets. They must be ebonite. Could make nice accents/rings or whatevers. Not sure if they have them in rods or not. Post your interest in them, if you have any, and maybe we can divide uni-color rods, if available.

staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Would you mind labeling those rods left to right? The first on the left is self evident as Cumberland, so are the blue/black and the green/black but what are the other colors?

bob gilbert
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Not sure, but I'd venture to guess:

red, blue, tan, solid black, brown, green, yellow.

I may have tan and yellow mixed up.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

kbadkar wrote:Not sure, but I'd venture to guess:

red, blue, tan, solid black, brown, green, yellow.

I may have tan and yellow mixed up.
To my eyes it looks like you might. I'd say:
Red - Blue - Yellow - Solid Black - Brown - Green - Tan

But it's tough to tell. It doesn't matter anyway - I need some of each! ;)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Okay - what diameters are available and at what price for ea dia? Is the price list from the earlier post still good?

∅ 20 mm € 24,- € 28,-
∅ 22 mm € 27,- € 31,-
∅ 24 mm € 29,- € 33,-
∅ 26 mm € 32,- € 36,-

????
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nope. It's 50 Euro per meter, 22mm raw only. They do a smoothed, but lets keep it easy on me this time, eh? :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, that's about a million times better than the last batch!

The pattern is very nice on the flat sections now, but less interesting, even a bit mottled left round. Bet they'd make nice saddle bits, or anything that would feature flat sections, but I wonder if the round and transition sections may be disappointing... I'll be interested to see how the various stem shapes end up looking.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Is the black rod just black... or could it be a 2 toned black?
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

anyone want to go halvsies on one each of the swirls?
me2cyclops

Post by me2cyclops »

any more info on the flat bars/sheet?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Vermont Freehand wrote:anyone want to go halvsies on one each of the swirls?
Yeah, I'll go halvsies. I was planning on going 1 full rod of each, but the economic realities of such an expenditure make it difficult to justify... in other words, I'm not sure how to explain it to the wife.

I already have the order in with Kurt and we can arrange the split as the order develops. Kurt said he's willing to cut and ship separate, but doesn't want to deal with half orders.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

me2cyclops wrote:any more info on the flat bars/sheet?
I wasn't sure if there was any interest, so I didn't inquire further. I will see what I can find out.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

kkendall wrote:Is the black rod just black... or could it be a 2 toned black?
I assumed it was just black, but I'll see if I can get a definitive answer to that.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

kbadkar wrote:
kkendall wrote:Is the black rod just black... or could it be a 2 toned black?
I assumed it was just black, but I'll see if I can get a definitive answer to that.
Well we just got our black ebonite order, so there isn't much point - especially if the price per rod is what it is (50 euros). That's why I asked - I didn't think it was possible for plain black rod to be that price (unless it's the giant 50mm diameter rod)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Hmm, the order went in as I had it this AM at 07:00.

If you guys want to split out orders, let me know - but what's ordered is ordered. I *might* be willing to take on some folks half orders for myself, Maybe. I'd rather not, however. I'd rather that folks figure out the splitting up on their own.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

KurtHuhn wrote:Hmm, the order went in as I had it this AM at 07:00.
Hey Kurt, I haven't heard back to any of my emails, have you gotten my emails recently? Any chance you got me into the order?