What is this shape?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
alan

What is this shape?

Post by alan »

I had a terrible time with this pipe. I got sloppy and didn't look at it under good enough light before staining. This pipe came from a very pale block, and I missed a ton of scratches. After sanding the stain off, refitting the stem, and restaining, I am very pleased with it.

I don't know what to call this shape, so if any of you know, please tell me what I've made. I didn't have a specific shape in mind when I started it.

Give me some feedback on this one please.

Frank

Post by Frank »

It doesn't look as if it fits under any particular named shape, so I gues it falls under the general category of "Freehand".
Nice birdseye on the sides.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Mallet? :) Looks massive...
alan

Post by alan »

:lol: I like mallet.

It looks bigger than it is. I used a medium size block. With the stem it is a bit over 6 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 inch deep tobacco hole that is 7/8. 3.6 ounces
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'd call it Thor's Hammer. That thing is pretty meaty. :D
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

A well done job!! Did you use a lathe, or sander to shape pipe??
alan

Post by alan »

I use a hand drill that is clamped down, with a disk sanding attachment. That and an ever growing assortment of files.

Out of all the equipment I can choose from, I want a band saw first. Using only a disk sander makes such a bloody mess. I can't wait to have nice little chunks of cut off-briar laying around instead of mountains of red dust!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

you may want to purchase a small combination belt/disc sander and a bench drill press.
I find that these work great.
alan

Post by alan »

lol eventually, eventually. The wife is even supportive, but that doesn't make the cash any more available :)
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Use a coping saw until you get a band saw. It's used to back cut the profile of crown molding, so you can get pretty good control with practice. It works well enough, but can be a bugger with dense wood.