mesquite

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
redraider#1

mesquite

Post by redraider#1 »

Has anyone tried using mesquite for making pipes. If so how did it smoke? I think this will be the wood I use for my first attempt at pipe making. I also will be useing mostly hand tools. I'll use a copeing saw and hand drills files and sanding paper. What would be the best shape to try for the first pipe. [/list]
Frank

Post by Frank »

Obviously the billiard is the most basic shape of all, but I'd say just go where your fancy takes you. For a first pipe, don't sweat it, just get the "feel" for making a pipe.

I don't recall seeing any posts on mesquite pipes, but at least you know it's not toxic. Give it a try and see how it smokes.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Mesquite is a great BBQ wood for sure. I think the only drawback to using it would be it might give off it's own flavoring up to the tobacco when lit. That might not be a bad thing though :wink: Give it a whirl, if it doesn't work throw it on the grill with some ribs!
Post pics!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Smitty wrote:Mesquite is a great BBQ wood for sure. I think the only drawback to using it would be it might give off it's own flavoring up to the tobacco when lit. That might not be a bad thing though :wink: Give it a whirl, if it doesn't work throw it on the grill with some ribs!
Post pics!
Briar is also a great BBQ wood. It's great for smoking ribs, and adding to the grill for burgers and steaks.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:
Smitty wrote:Mesquite is a great BBQ wood for sure. I think the only drawback to using it would be it might give off it's own flavoring up to the tobacco when lit. That might not be a bad thing though :wink: Give it a whirl, if it doesn't work throw it on the grill with some ribs!
Post pics!
Briar is also a great BBQ wood. It's great for smoking ribs, and adding to the grill for burgers and steaks.
I love briar-smoked salmon or cod. I keep all my cutoffs and rejects in a big barrel, and every once in a while I grab an armful and take it to the grill.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I never would have thought to try that. I was always told to use only broad leaf hard woods for cooking. I thought Heath was a Bush :? Is there any flavor that is added to the foods youv'e tried? Like Hicory adds?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's a milder flavor than mesquite or hickory, but no less interesting. It's perfect for fish. And, just as in pipes, different woods are better for other meats. Algerian is great for fish, while something stronger like red Spanish or old Grecian is good for beef. At least in my opinion.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

KurtHuhn wrote:It's a milder flavor than mesquite or hickory, but no less interesting. It's perfect for fish. And, just as in pipes, different woods are better for other meats. Algerian is great for fish, while something stronger like red Spanish or old Grecian is good for beef. At least in my opinion.
Kurt, you have a *very* refined palate. :P

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote: Kurt, you have a *very* refined palate. :P
I AM THE GRILL MASTAH!!! :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:I AM THE GRILL MASTAH!!! :D
I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!! BBQ FORKS AT DAWN! :twisted:

Ah bugger, that reminds me. I have to be BBQing a turkey for Thanksgiving for the ravenous hordes, again.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
alan

Post by alan »

I'd be willing to take any of you on with a nice slab of steak. I'll leave the ribs to you guys, tho.
redraider#1

Post by redraider#1 »

Come on tell me what kind of grills y'all have. If anyone say brinkman or of the same type then you ought to be ashamed to call that BBQ. Everybody knows that BBQ is done over time with mesquite and cold beer and with a homemade grill with a firebox.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a Char-Griller with a firebox. Does that count? It seemed easier than finding and cutting a 30-gallon drum.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

I'm one of those suspenders and a belt guys when it comes to BBQ. I have a 5 burner BBQ plus an offset box smoker.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!