first pipes I've felt up to posting

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alan L
Site Supporter

first pipes I've felt up to posting

Post by Alan L »

Just to show I do make actual pipes, and not just pipe tomahawks... :roll:

I know, they're ugly and have all the hallmarks of a rank amateur, but hey, that describes me! :lol: I was working my way through a bad batch of briar when these two finally worked. The antler shank extension just kind of happened, I don't know why, but it seemed to be called for at the time. My customer base, such as it is, are mostly knifemakers who work in a rustic style, so this is perfect for them.

The straight grain on the little green-stemmed lumberman-esque is nice, except for a couple of pits. I didn't want to rusticate it.

I know these aren't up to the standards of the rest of you guys, but I'm proud of myself anyway. For me, they're pretty good! :wink:

Basically, I was tired of offering comment without showing anything of my own. Well, here they are.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks for showing. Keep them coming!
Källman

Post by Källman »

Always liked green stems. Cool flames there on that second pipe! That horn wasnt a bad idea either. Iv gots a couples and i think im gonna trys that outs.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Nice work. I like your idea with the antler shank. The lumberman appears to be a nicely shaped pipe with excellent grain. I,m a traditional bowhunter. So, handmade knives are of interest to me. Please post a link so we can see your knives and tomahawks.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Thanks!

I wish now I'd put a bronze or textured copper spacer between the stag and the briar, but such is life. I was in a post-migraine haze when I did that one anyway. :roll:

Scott, I don't have a website at present, too much other stuff going on. I'm an archaeologist for the Tennessee Department of Transportation, and we aren't supposed to moonlight for cash. :thplt: SO, the pipes and the hawks/knives/swords are just "hobbies" that I sometimes exchange the product of for rectangles of green cloth-based paper with pictures of deceased statesmen on them. :wink:

Did you see the pipe hawk Kurt let me pass through here? It's at viewtopic.php?t=3275