Sanding the area just before the button

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Charl

Sanding the area just before the button

Post by Charl »

I'm having trouble with getting the area before the button smooth, basically the last 2mm or so just before the bit. I just can't seem to get sandpaper close enough, while also not damaging the button. I have tried one of the wife's fingernail thingies, but they seem to only sort of polish. Unless you can get them in higher grits? And with needle files I leave marks, although the cut of mine is quite fine.
Any suggestions?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Walmart carries fingernail files from 80 to 320 grit. That's what I use.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You might have to find a beauty supply store in your area (unless Wal-Mart truly is taking over the world) to find teh right fingernail files. I get mine at a US chain called Sally Beauty, and I most often use the 220/320 and 400/600 sticks. One side has one grit, flip it over and you've got the next highest grit.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:I get mine at a US chain called Sally Beauty, and I most often use the 220/320 and 400/600 sticks. One side has one grit, flip it over and you've got the next highest grit.
Yep, Sally's has them from 80 grit to 600. Some are double grit, as Kurt mentioned, some are same grit both sides. They also have one that's shamois(sp?) covered for buffing.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I found Sally's to be way overpriced. The Walmart files are only $0.97 apiece.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Suppose I will have to go to our local Wallmart (ours is called Checkers :lol: ) to see what they have. Although I can' recall that I've ever seen them with the grit advertised over here. On the other hand, I've never went shopping for them. :lol:
Thanks!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Charl wrote:Suppose I will have to go to our local Wallmart (ours is called Checkers :lol: ) to see what they have. Although I can' recall that I've ever seen them with the grit advertised over here. On the other hand, I've never went shopping for them. :lol: Thanks!
You could also try Clicks.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hie hie :lol: hie
Thanks, Frank, will do.