Cherrywood Poker (WT 01308)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Cherrywood Poker (WT 01308)

Post by wdteipen »

Here's a pipe I just finished. It's a Cherrywood Poker made from Algerian briar with a nickel silver band and vulcanite stem. It's my second commissioned pipe. It was a lot of fun to make. It has a few very small sand specks that are difficult to detect. It's about a group 5 or 6 in size per the designers request. I probably would have rusticated it due to the less interesting grain but the owner liked it as is. Regardless, I'm real pleased with how it turned out. Let me know what you all think.

Gig

Post by Gig »

Very nice pipe :)
Cheers from downunder
Charl

Post by Charl »

I think it is a really nice pipe. Yes, the grain is not that great, but I like it.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I would not have choosen the wide band, but it is a very nice pipe.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Overall it's a nice pipe. I would not have rounded the top like that though. I do like the band. It sets off the shank nicely.

I like the wood too. I don't agree that it's ho-hum. I think that it could really benefit from a strong contrast staining. All those birdseyes would really pop if you did that.

Other than that, the angle of the stem is nice, and the uniformity you got for the shank is great. If you were able to get the shank/bowl transition just a little more refined (not a razor sharp line though) it would really take it to the next level.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Källman

Post by Källman »

The poker shape is overall very good to work with. The choice of stain here could have made a dramatic difference. Im seeing this one in dark red or highlighted black.

Would be cool to it with cut-straight bottom and top with a straight stem!