gripe, grumble, and garumph

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

gripe, grumble, and garumph

Post by KurtHuhn »

Every year I do a "beers of summer" series, and this year I'm trying to expand on last year's "Summer Ale". I'm calling it the Pale Ale, and it gets stained a little darker than the other that it's based off of. I've been working on this shape off and on for the last couple days, and for the life of me, it's just not working out.

I started working on a nice piece of briar and a flaw opened up while turning the top of the bowl, so I had to decrease the size of the bowl. It's going to be a nice pipe, but it's not a Pale Ale.

So I grab another block of briar and start working. The grain is stunning - like in the way that you look at it and say "Holy Crap! Look at that!". Problem though, I didn't notice it earlier, but there's a giant flaw in the tobacco chamber. This is particularly frustrating because it is such an incredible looking pipe. The flaw will not affect the smoking qualities at all, and the pipe could well outlast my lifetime, but there it is. Nobody would buy that pipe.

Sad thing is, I'm at the point now where the stem is ready to just plug right into the stummel once it's done. I think this is the first time I've had a hand-cut stem finished before the briar had even been drawn on yet. And now I have to make a stem for my new pipe with a flaw in the tobacco chamber, that will outlive me, and is such a stunning example of my work that it would easily justify the creation of a new grading system. :banghead:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Well if it is all that and a bag of chips let us see it. I know that if I was the maker of such a pipe, and it had a flaw that would preclude it's sale, I would be overjoyed to keep it for myself. And when smoking it and people asked me where I got such a glorious pipe? I would just calmly reply, "I made it myself and that I only smoke the rejects". That should make them wonder what to good ones look like don't you think?

P.S. Personally I get the most enjoyment out of keeping one or two for myself one in a while.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I actually posted a blog entry this morning:
http://pipecrafter.blogspot.com/2008/08/epic-fail.html

Here's the relevant pics:

I'll finish the pipe, but I have to find a suitable stem for it now - though I might just use the same material I've already got prepared for this pipe. At any rate, it's a really low priority for me right now since it's not going to make me any money, and I have orders stacking up again that have to get done before the customers lose interest.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

How big is that bowl? Looks like you could open it up 1/8", might skim off the flaw and still have thick enough walls. Time to make some spoon bits.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I thought about taking my 13/16" spoon bit to it. I'm slightly gun shy though, as it looks like the flaw goes quite a bit deeper. That's a 3/4" chamber though, so I have plenty of room to shave.

I don't know. Let's see how I feel in the morning. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well I didn't feel great about trying to save the pipe for sale. But, I went ahead and finished it anyway. It didn't take long, and I needed a diversion.

Relevant blog posting here:
http://pipecrafter.blogspot.com/2008/08 ... ilure.html
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

That is one pipe I would not mind keeping as a reject. Looks Great
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Tsunami wrote:Well if it is all that and a bag of chips let us see it. I know that if I was the maker of such a pipe, and it had a flaw that would preclude it's sale, I would be overjoyed to keep it for myself. And when smoking it and people asked me where I got such a glorious pipe? I would just calmly reply, "I made it myself and that I only smoke the rejects". That should make them wonder what to good ones look like don't you think?

P.S. Personally I get the most enjoyment out of keeping one or two for myself one in a while.
I totally agree with your opinion. Once the pipe is in use the flaw will be invisible and it will serve as an excellent advert.

Great looking pipe, Kurt. It actually hurts to think such a beautiful piece of art will be used.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Excellent pipe! Maybe one day my "rejects" will also look like that!