Question about Dunhill Night Cap

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Spence Pipes

Question about Dunhill Night Cap

Post by Spence Pipes »

I bought 1 ounce of Dunhill Night Cap to give a shot and see if I like it. It is very dry, is it supposed to be? I know some tobaccos are supposed to be dry, but this is really dry.
flix

Post by flix »

I think it does tend to be dryer than the other Dunhill's in tins. I wouldn't worry at all about it, just keep it in a canning jar and it should keep for a long while.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

If it is too dry, it'll be a harsh smoke. If it is too dry, the tobacco strands will crumble when pinched, rather than feel pliable. To re-humidify, get one of those cheap little humidifier buttons, drop it in water (distilled, perferably) for a few minutes, shake out excess water, dry off the outside, and stick it in your pouch, tin, or jar. In about 12-24 hours, take out the button, stir up the tobacco to help distribute the moisture. Wait about another 24 hours and check the feel of the tobacco. You want it to have some spongy resiliency. If it all sticks all together in a clump when you pinch, it's too wet and you want to leave the tin/top/pouch open for awhile. If it's not moist enough (crumbling) repeat with the button. I would not suggest using fruit, peel, or potatoes to moisten your tobacco. They mold and add unwanted flavors.

I'll try to find a link to a humidifying button, but I've seen them in every decent pipe shop I've visited.
Here:
http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/ ... ttons.html
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

This may be a bit simplistic or even barbaric by some peoples standards, but I just open the pouch and dribble a little water in and then seal it back up. Shake it up a bit and then let it sit. Open it after a few hours and see what you have. If it is still too dry, do it again. If it is too wet, open the pouch and let it dry a bit. No need for a button or anything like that. Quick and simple.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Whatever works! I like simplistic and barbaric, but I have a bunch of these high falutin' 50 cent pouch buttons laying around that need a purpose in life. :wink:
NateTheBookie

Re: Question about Dunhill Night Cap

Post by NateTheBookie »

I've heard that putting a fresh Apple slice in the jar for a day or two works as well... plus you get to eat the rest of the apple. I've tried it and haven't run into any issues yet, though I usually use a cigar humidifier in mine.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Nate,
I heard the same thing and tried it ... I now have 2oz. of apple flavored virginia tobacco. Of course if you like the faint taste of apples you may like it but I'm with kbadkar and the humidifier buttons.
Kevin
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

bikedoctor wrote:Nate,
I heard the same thing and tried it ... I now have 2oz. of apple flavored virginia tobacco. Of course if you like the faint taste of apples you may like it but I'm with kbadkar and the humidifier buttons.
How did the apple taste? :D
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:
bikedoctor wrote:Nate,
How did the apple taste? :D
Very good point. I may have ruined my Peter Stokebye Luxury Twist Flake but I should have tested how the apple tasted. :lol:
Kevin