Peapod

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pierredekat

Peapod

Post by pierredekat »

I guess I'm one of those people who tends to get distracted fairly easily. :oops:

I started on this pipe about two months ago, and I was really excited about it at the time. But then I stumbled into a deal on a 1930s model Atlas lathe, and I nearly forgot all about this crazy pipe.

Well, I finally got around to finishing it up the other day, and now I'm excited about it again. Truth be told, I'm thinking seriously about making this a signature design.

I'll probably refine it a little on the next go-round and make the next one a little smaller, I think -- this one's about 6 3/4 inches long.

But I'm really happy with the way that this design interacts with the grain on a traditional plateaux briar. And the fact that it sits -- purely by accident, mind you -- is a cool deal, as well.

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice work. I really like the shape. This is a pipe I would buy.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks, wdteipen.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Beautiful freehand, Robert. You could make it your signature, because the shape looks unique to me. I don't know how you manage it freehand, but with that style of shank (similar to your Polywog) you get that beautiful curve so damn perfect.

This isn't a criticism, just my preference, but perhaps a lighter overstain, say a tan or British tan, would really contrast the grain even more.

Did you use diffused lighting to photograph the pipe, because the pipe and stem look rather dull in the picture?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks, Frank. Yeah, this one might have looked a little better stained a little lighter.

And yes, I started using a light tent, a few pipes back, when I was trying to photograph a ball that reflected pretty much everything in a three mile radius.

But the jury's still out on the light tent.

I think the diffused lighting helps to show the grain a little better, maybe, but it definitely makes the pipes look a lot more satiny.

And this pipe is a lot glossier in real life.

Maybe next time I photograph, I'll try sticking a single light inside the tent to give the pipe a little more shine.
Frank

Post by Frank »

pierredekat wrote:Maybe next time I photograph, I'll try sticking a single light inside the tent to give the pipe a little more shine.
Or, perhaps higher wattage bulbs and/or a thinner tent material?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
clifton

Post by clifton »

i really like the look... the curviture is beautiful... aesthetically this is one of the more appealing pipes I have seen in a while... great work
A piece of God's Workmanship,
Clifton Phelps
android

Post by android »

great pipe Robert. elegant curves and a nice shank. one i would also buy... if i could afford it!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nice pipe! Definitely worth the position of a signature pipe!
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Great flow to that and the graining is awesome. I am not sure a lighter shade would be better on that pipe though. I like it as is.