New Blaster

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jeff

New Blaster

Post by jeff »

Hey folks,

I've been working since before Chicago to get a blaster set up in my new shop. I thought, initially, despite my own words to the contrary, that I would try and "get by" with a smaller compressor. I found one at Harbor Freight (my first mistake) that supposedly pushed 15 cfm @ 90 psi. Sounded good. The tank was only 29 gallons, but I could deal with the pump trying to keep up for the 20 minutes I figured it would take per piece. Big mistake. :) The compressor was over rated like everything they seem to sell. Instead of keeping up, I got about 1 minute of blasting time at 90 psi before waiting 5 for it to repressurize.

So, I contacted Mr. Rad Davis, master blaster. I love his blasts and I asked him what he used. I bought the same. A week later I had a big ass compressor in my shop, returned the garbage HF machine, and thought all was well. Well, as it turns out, a system is only as good as its weakest component. I had been using a cheapo regulator/filter setup (~$20 @ HF) and it gave crazy readouts and fluctuations in pressure that were not conducive to good blasting. Finally, I had enough and went to buy the best one I could find. Being in a large city I tend to have local suppliers for everything. I ended up with an industrial grade regulator that cost as much as my Cyclone cabinet. But, after using it for the first time today, I know that it is money well spent.

Here's what <10 minutes with the new setup rendered. Let's say that I'm a happy camper. :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Jeff, the pipe is awesome. The detail in the ring grain is phoenoninal!

What are the spec's on the new compressor you got and what grit/micron is the media your using?

WOW!!!
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi Ryan,

I'm now using this compressor. The media is glass bead. I buy from a local distributor and don't know the specs. I think that it's the finest that they carry.

I suppose that what I was trying to say above is that each component of the system needs to be carefully chosen. Several folks are using this or an equivalent compressor in combination with a Skat Blast cabinet/vac package from http://www.tptools.com. I don't have the space for it right now, but my little Cyclone benchtop blaster does the trick.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jeff
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Ain't it great when you've got the right equipment? :D

Congratulations on an awesome blast, Jeff!

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I want a blasting setup....... current production rates do not merit, however. But that has never stopped me before :D

May I ask (dare I ask) - How much did the whole setup cost?
sethile

Post by sethile »

Congratulations on the blasting set up, Jeff. Wow, what a fantastic first blast from it!

I'm really impressed with the bench top Cyclone I bought too.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
jeff

Post by jeff »

bscofield wrote:I want a blasting setup....... current production rates do not merit, however. But that has never stopped me before :D

Well, Ben, it ran well north of $2k. Let's just say that if I weren't making pipes full time, I wouldn't have bought it. I blast a lot of pipes these days and I NEEDED something that would get the job done. It wasn't a luxury, it was a necessity. There are options for those who want nice blasts, but don't have blasters. Several makers will do it for a fee. Trust me when I say the fee will be a hell of a lot more affordable than a blasting setup.

Best,

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Congrats on the new setup, Jeff. That's a stunning blast!

BTW, I have two of the Cyclone benchtop cabinets and have no plan to move to anything else. They're perfect for my workshop setup. And since they're molded, and are one piece all around, they never leak.

I have a single stage 60-gal compressor from Lowes that's rated at 10CFM at 90PSI. I suspect, however, that it might be over rated. It gets the job done, and I can blast non-stop using the 5CFM jet and nozzle from Cyclone, but the pump runs close to 75% of the time if I keep the trigger pulled. It never drops below 90PSI though, I'll give it that - it's just that I would be a whole lot more comfortable if the pump ran less.

I just wish I could find more finished pipes justifying a blast. Everything I make these days seems to come out smooth. :?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool Jeff!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jeff wrote:
bscofield wrote:I want a blasting setup....... current production rates do not merit, however. But that has never stopped me before :D

Well, Ben, it ran well north of $2k. Let's just say that if I weren't making pipes full time, I wouldn't have bought it. I blast a lot of pipes these days and I NEEDED something that would get the job done. It wasn't a luxury, it was a necessity. There are options for those who want nice blasts, but don't have blasters. Several makers will do it for a fee. Trust me when I say the fee will be a hell of a lot more affordable than a blasting setup.

Best,

Jeff
That's what I figured... that's good tho. It's high enough that it'll keep me from spending the $$ on a hobby :)